Transmission Fluid Questions..

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 11:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission Fluid Questions..

I have a 1992 Volvo 240. Anywho, lately, I've been noticing when I shift that it's a little slow to do it. Or, it will clunk just slightly then shift after putting a little pressure on the pedal (usually going into reverse). So, the other day I checked my transmission fluid and it seems kinda brown, and it's slightly smelly. I might check it again tomorrow, just to be sure. I've done a little research on it, and some say that replacing transmission fluid on older, high mileage cars can do more harm to the transmission than good. I kind of doubt this. So I'm asking your opinions. Also, why in the world is tranny oil sooo expensive?!? My car takes 7.4 liters, and its basically $50 for 4 liters. Its insanely expensive!
Thanks!
Evan

Old 05-08-2013, 12:03 AM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

Sounds like you can use a fluid change. Fluid change should not damage the transmission, POWER FLUSH however, may. So, just use the Volvo recommended procedure and you should be fine.

What kind of fluid are you pricing? ATF is around $4 a quart, I use 10 qts to do a change...

Old 05-08-2013, 12:08 AM

For pricing I'm using FCPeuro. I'd buy my fluid and the kit containing the filter and gaskets form there. Anyway, 4 Liters are $50, and my car takes 7.4 Liters.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:10 AM
Old 05-08-2013, 05:51 AM
Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

You don't need to use Volvo branded trans oil. Instead use standard Dexron III compatible oil from your local auto parts store. Last time I bought some I got it for $42 a case (12 quarts). I bought two cases and flushed two transmissions with it.

The following users liked this post:
VOLVO850850 (09-21-2023)
Old 05-08-2013, 09:19 AM
lev

+1. I never use Volvo fluid; it'd be nice but for the price. Any quality Dexron is fine--I get a case of Valvoline from Costco. Also the filter is not crucial to do.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:58 AM

Ah... Alright. I'll see what my local parts store has to offer. I may not get a new filter, but should I check it?

Old 05-08-2013, 02:01 PM
lev

Up to you, whether you feel like lifting the car and getting dirty. Depends really on how bad the current oil is, and how much you love the car.The way you describe the symptoms indicate that it might need all the help it can get. How "brown and smelly" is it? Any idea when it was changed last?

Old 05-08-2013, 02:21 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

btw, anyone who says changing a lubricant can cause more damage than good is an idiot. if there's a problem that surfaces when the fluid is changed, its not the fluid changes at fault, the problem already existed and would have gotten worse.

to flush a volvo AW7x tranny, you need a CLEAN transmission funnel that fits in the tranny dipstick tube, you need some hose the right size to make a snug fit with the transmission cooler line, and you need a whole lotta ATF (8-12 quarts, typically). Large containers are difficult to use, I'd stick with quarts. you also need a clean gallon jug that has measuring lines on it and a clean oil drain pan that has a spout that can pour into that jug. you'll need several gallon jugs to hold the used ATF.
  • get the transmission nice and warm (drive 10-15 miles)
  • jack the car, remove the tranny drain plug and drain what you can into the oil pan. replace the plug, measure how much came out, and pour the same amount of new ATF back into the tranny via the funnel and dipstick tube.
  • disconnect the tranny cooler return line at the radiator (I believe its the top one), connect the hose to the radiator, put the other end of the hose into the empty measuring jug, start the engine
  • monitor the ATF draining out, when 2 quarts come out, stop the engine. measure this ATF, replace that much (2 quarts)..
  • repeat the last step til it comes out clear red.
  • replace the cooler line, drive the car 10 miles or so to warm up the tranny, check the fluid level at the 'hot' mark, and top off.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you guys make of this device?

Automatic Transmission Flush Kit

I myself have fallen into a transmission fluid question. Here it is.

I've been tuning up a 1991 240 sedan with 200k miles. No major issues to speak of. Was fooling around with the flame trap and part of that thing broke off in a second. At the same time, looked at the transmission fluid and it looks brown and smells OK: not great and not like death. The vehicle was acquired by my family 10 years ago or so at 125k miles and the trans fluid hasn't been changed during that time.

Went to the mechanic for the flame trap and to change the trans fluid. He said he had reservations about changing the trans fluid on such an old car (he did the flame trap no problem). I've scoured the web and only have come up with everyone saying different things.

One thing I saw a few people mention was changing the trans fluid a little at a time. If this device above is as easy to use as it seems, might that be a sensible / safe way to go about it?

Mike

Old 05-08-2013, 03:54 PM
no mo volvo

I use a $2 piece of clear vinyl hose about 4' long that I bought at the local hardware store.

Your mechanic believes in magic. I'd find a new mechanic who trusts in science.

if your ATF is brown, I would definitely change it, your transmission will last much longer.

Last edited by pierce; 05-08-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can this be done without jacking up and removing the drain, as per your earlier post?

Old 05-08-2013, 04:38 PM
no mo volvo

removing the drain gets the first 4 quarts out.

I suppose you could pump it all out the return hose one quart at a time, that would be painfully time consuming.
  1. disconnect tranny cooler return house
  2. connect drain hose
  3. start car, drain 1 quart, stop car, add 1 quart fresh ATF
  4. repeat step 3 about 8-12 times or until it runs clear
  5. reconnect cooler return hose

the problem with this is, your fresh ATF will be mixing with the dirty ATF in the main part of the transmission, so you'll need much more to flush it completely. by draining the approximately 4 quarts in the main part of the transmission and filling that with fresh ATF before you start the flush thing, then you only have to flush whats in the torque converter and cooler, and you're replacing it with the fresh AFT in the transmission body.

Last edited by pierce; 05-08-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:07 PM
lev

I disconnect the top line, put a hose on it leading into a measured bucket.
Funnel in tranny filler hole.
Fluid ready to pour usually in single quarts.
I start the car, fluid pumps out while I pour the containers in. The pump out rate is about the same as the pour in flow. When the fluid starts to run clear I am done.
And I do drain the fluid and add in as much as I take out prior to the hose in-out.
I've done this many times--works great, haven't killed a tranny yet.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:21 PM
no mo volvo

maybe I need a better tranny funnel. the one I use seems to go in slower than it comes out. it *is* a nice clean one, has clear plastic tubing, with a cap for the fitting that goes into the dipstick tube, a on/off valve on the funnel, a screen, and a cap for the top of the funnel so it both doesn't get ATF everywhere and doesn't need to be cleaned before use.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:06 PM

I'll most likely change the transmission fluid. I'll also probably buy a new filter and gaskets. I'm gonna check it one more time also, just to be sure. Plus, I'll probably call a mechanic I know from Lincoln, NE that works on our European cars and see what he thinks. I like a lot of input for these things. Haha.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:17 PM
no mo volvo

the 'filter' in a aw7x is just a screen. you can clean it and reuse it.

a proper transmission service involves dropping the 'pan' of the transmission and cleaning the labyrinth of oil passages, ports, and valves that control the automatic shifting.

you need to clean it off before you open it, and keep everything inside really clean. one grain of sand could do all sorts of long term damage to the transmission.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:22 PM

I've heard of people draining the old, refilling it, running it, then draining it again and doing the new filter, and then finally refilling it a final time. I believe I might just drain it, do the filter and gaskets, and fill it with new and call it good. This is if I check it again, and decide that the current fluid is crappy, and the mechanic says yes. I assume it'd be good to do it.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:25 PM
no mo volvo

I used a topsider vacuum oil can to do it once. sucked out about 4 quarts through the dipstick tube, refilled it, idled it 5 minutes, did it two more times (using 12 quarts total). it was pretty clear after that but it wasn't that bad when I started.

I've heard from people who just suck-o-lux up 4 quarts every oil change, so its all pretty fresh..

Old 05-08-2013, 11:45 PM

Sounds like a good habit to get into. Removing some old and adding new each time you change the oil.

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid Questions..