Transmission flush or just change?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 04:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission flush or just change?

I noticed while looking at my fluid that it is starting to loose its bright red color. My local trusted quick lube place offers a flush for 130$ which seems outrageous to me. Can i just get away with changing the fluid in my transmission? Or would you recommend i flush it?

If you do recommend i should just change it, how would the esteem members of this room go about doing it?

Old 05-24-2011, 07:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flush

I would recommend flushing. I did my flush this past weekend. It took 8 quarts to finally see a nice red color coming out. all for only $45. If you want to go with synthethic then your looking at over $75-125. I have a 1988 Volvo 240 wagon that I just bought about 2 months ago and needed the tranny fluid changed/flushed ASAP. Flushing the tranny was sooo easy. Good luck

Old 05-24-2011, 11:19 PM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

High Pressure Flushing is not recommended for older trannies. You can change the Volvo ATF yourself very easily, the cost is just the price of the fluid. The Brickboard.com has excellent instructions on how to do it under the FAQ.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lev
High Pressure Flushing is not recommended for older trannies. You can change the Volvo ATF yourself very easily, the cost is just the price of the fluid. The Brickboard.com has excellent instructions on how to do it under the FAQ.
Not true with the AW70...plus flushing is the ONLY way to get the fluid entirely clean. If this was a 3 speed Borg Warner I would agree...but flushing the Aisin Warner is just fine and actually highly recommended.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:28 AM

I don't put much faith in flushing or drain/refill without changing the filter. Clogged filters kill autos faster than anything else and you won't know if it's clogged unless you remove it.
There is no difference between dumping the pan and refilling a few times, with a short run in between, than using the transmission's pump to slowly change fluid. The BIG advantage to removing the pan and changing the filter is you also get to clean the inside of the pan.
The other bonus with dumping the pan to do it is you don't risk damaging the trans pump when you run it dry on fluid.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the best advice re tranny flush/filter change for my 91 240 with 175K? No obvious problems except OD might be sticking.

Thanks,
mscottesq (Newbie - total idiot)

Old 05-26-2011, 09:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Typhoon
I don't put much faith in flushing or drain/refill without changing the filter. Clogged filters kill autos faster than anything else and you won't know if it's clogged unless you remove it.<br />
There is no difference between dumping the pan and refilling a few times, with a short run in between, than using the transmission's pump to slowly change fluid. The BIG advantage to removing the pan and changing the filter is you also get to clean the inside of the pan.<br />
The other bonus with dumping the pan to do it is you don't risk damaging the trans pump when you run it dry on fluid.
<br />
<br />

I do agree to an extent however, the filter is metal mesh and they rarely get clogged. You will know if it's clogged because you will hear a high pitched whine. Also if really clogged you will lose use of gears it it will slip bad. Now in saying that most of these 240's have very high mileage and the filter has never been changed so changing a filter is never a bad idea but it's usually not necessary and any good Volvo mechanic should tell you that. Either the pump is already weak or it's not, a flushing is not going to ruin your pump...just don't run it dry....I typically will not drop a pan unless the car has symptoms of a bad filter or client insists...never had.a pump go bad and I have been flushing these tranny's a long time and have done MANY. Oh if you do drop the.pan check out the magnet and see if there's an unusual amount of metal shavings on it...this could be a problem. These tranny's are tough as nails though...Good Luck!

Old 05-26-2011, 10:12 AM

I've used this method with much success:
aw70

nice and simple!

Old 05-29-2011, 11:39 AM

ok now that i suppose we all agree it needs to be flushed, what do you guys think a reasonable price would be? (at a trusted meinike)

Old 05-29-2011, 03:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 92_240_sedan
ok now that i suppose we all agree it needs to be flushed, what do you guys think a reasonable price would be? (at a trusted meinike)

You should be able to this yourself...SUPER easy! But if you cannot or do not want to then usually a Meineke type or Jiffy Lube will charge aprox. $69 without filter and gasket...just flush. ATF is not cheap and depending on how dirty yours is it could take up to 20qts sometimes to get clean...but typically 12 will do. Good Luck!