Transmission oil change problem.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 12:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission oil change problem.

Hello,

I would like to change the transmission fluid in my 240 this weekend using the proceedure in the Bentley manual. The fitting on the transmission for the fluid return line from the cooler is really cramped by the exhaust pipe. My regular open end wrench can't get in there and still have room to turn it.

Is there a trick to this one? Crowfoot, stubby wrench, moving the exhaust pipe a little? I need a pearl of wisdom from those who have done this before.

Thank you,
Mark

Old 03-24-2006, 12:31 PM
Default re: hope I can help, waiting for answer

What a great start to my day! sorry to get a chuckle from your difficulty! but, several years ago my boyfriend wanted to start working on cars & was using my 90 Volvo 240 as his giunea pig (heaven forbid he even touch his 65 Mustang!)

Well, he came in covered with dirt and asked me if the oil was suposed to be red? I laughed so hard! He had to filled it up with new transmission fluid and then discovered he forgot the washer -so he had to drain it all out again! My car has the cleanest transmission fluid in NC!

I just sent him an email asking how he performed this feat (twice) -it has to be easy, since he always takes the easy way. If he remembers (and hasn't blocked it from memory) I will pass it along.

best wishes

Cris

Old 03-24-2006, 12:35 PM
Default RE: Transmission oil change problem.

well, that was fast! My boyfriend told me that he used a long socket wrench, it was the only thing that he had that fit.

hope that helps!

cris

Old 03-24-2006, 09:17 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Transmission oil change problem.

If you are going to do the flush. Do it from the Radiator and not the trans. If you are going to tdo the drain and refill the Plug in the pan is a 14MM.