turn signal issues 1992 Volvo 240 wagon

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 09:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turn signal issues 1992 Volvo 240 wagon

uugghh. OK I have a turn signal issue on a 1992 Volvo 240 man trans wagon

I have no turn signals, no response from turn signal switch, no indicator on dash etc.

-Hazards DO WORK (ALL 4)

-up until recently left turn signal fine, right turn signal faulty- (front worked, back did not- replaced bulb and checked connections seem ok)

-couple of years ago left turn signal did not work either front or back- no repair was made but then they just started working again on its own

-all new fuses, however I am burning fuse #6 all the time only on one end,same end

-turn signals worked for a moment today preceded and followed by a loud buzzing noise I presume is from the relay (coming from dash, console area)

- brought the car in over the summer to diagnose short or electrical issue (because of the burned fuse) and was told by mechanics that there was no short but I needed a left rear tail light assembly (no tail lights were working at all- on either side nor third brake light) I brought the car home and my 12 yr old son and I looked at the lights- the wiring was all messed up- back up light and fog lights illuminated simultaneously on opposing assemblies, 2 grounds to the left assembly (the same one recommended for replacement) and some connectors were disconnected. My son and I went through the wires one by one (different colors on each assembly) to correctly connect the wires- no problem with assemblies or lights since EXCEPT for the above mentioned rear right turn signal.

not quite sure how to diagnose- I am leery of mechanics because I have had a lot of run around with them and a lot of shoddy repairs, so I have started to fix things on my own. I am pretty capable but obviously inexperienced. All of this could be related to "bad" tail light assembly or completely unrelated. Not quite sure what instrument(s) I would need to check so any info will be helpful.

Thanks,
S

Last edited by suener; 10-17-2019 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 02:12 PM
no mo volvo
Received 102 Likes on 95 Posts

any time multiple lights come on erratically, the ground is the first thing to check...

Anyways, I'd be in there with a volt meter, checking to see if there's voltage on the wire to that broken turn signal... no voltage means the problem is upstream, either in hte chassis harness wiring, or in the control circuits, if you do see voltage when the lamp is supposed to be lit, then the problem is in the light fixture itself, somehow that voltage isn't making it to the bulb.

Old 10-17-2019, 03:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response. I am not sure but I will check. The light bulbs work as I have all of my Flasher (hazard lights) when I go to use my turn signal there was a buzzing but no turn signal. Now there is no more buzzing and still no turn signal on either side. So I am thinking that there is an issue between the turn signal switch and the relay