Turn signals out but hazards still work

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 12:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signals out but hazards still work

Hello Everyone!

I am trying to the source of my problem, or get help on how to identify the source of my problem. I have a 1988 240GL Wagon. Recently, by turn signal fuse (no. 13) blew and turn signals stopped working. I thought it was just an old fuse, but after replacing it (several times), every time I start the car (even without the turn signal engaged) the fuse instantly blows. However, even with the blown turn signal fuse, my hazards still work properly on all left, right, front and year lights whether my car is on or off.

According to my fuse panel, this no. 13 fuse also runs the heated seats, solenoid valve, glow plug time relay and seat belt reminder. Could it then be one of these other things blowing the fuse?

Old 04-08-2017, 11:44 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

yes, any thing on a fuse thats shorted to ground can cause the fuse to blow instantly when power is applied.

glow plug time relay is a diesel only thing, so that's probably not applicable. solenoid valve and PTC only apply to the european B200K/B230K engines, not to the LH2.2 electronic fuel injection on the B230F in a US model 88 240

let me look at my 1988 wiring diagram....

ok, it says fuse 13, 16 amps, is the blue-red circuit, and includes direction indicators, seat belt reminder, heated seats, and some diesel stuff. the hazard flashers are on fuse 9 as they need to work when the ignition is off.

one blue-red wire goes from fuse 13 to the drivers and passenger heated seat switches.

another blue-red wire goes from fuse 13 to pin 6 of the emergency flasher switch, if the e-flashers are off, that switch connects pin 6 to pin 4, a white wire that goes to the flasher relay.

yet another blue-red wire goes from fuse 13 to a junction, and from there it goes to the lights in each front seat belt, and to the seat belt warning chime. I'd unplug that chime and see if the fuse stops blowing.

on the fuse block, to the right of each fuse is 3 spade connectors. the ones towards the back and farthest to the right are the inputs to each fuse. some fuses have their inputs ganged together, specifically fuses 1-2-3, 6-7-8-9-10, 11-12-13, and 15-16. the drawings show fuses 11-12-13 get their power from a blue-yellow wire that goes to the input spade next to fuse 12.... the other two spades next to each fuse, the one closest to the fuse, and the middle one, are connected together to the output side of the fuse.

there's at least 2 blue-red wires plugged in next to fuse 13, unplug one of these, switch the car on and see if the fuse blows. if the fuse does NOT blow, see which circuits stopped working. if the fuse DOES blow, ignition off, put that wire back and unplug another blue-red wire, and repeat this. this should help you isolate which circuit is causing the fuse to blow.