Used SRS Module

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 01:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used SRS Module

Hi folks. I am new here, and I am a proud owner of a crappy, beat up Vulva 240 sedan that is mechanically reliable as all get-out accept for one thing: The SRS Computer Module, which is on the fritz.

As a result of the above problem, the SRS light is on all the time and the car will not pass inspection. Sooooooooo....

My local Volvo dealership did some checking around and found a used module and accompanying parts for $25.00 and offered to install it for $165.00 with no warranties on the part.

My question is this: Aside from the risk that the airbag module would fail to properly deploy if I hit an oak tree head on, what if any other risks do I need to be concerned about? For example, will installing this used airbag module INCREASE the risk of the airbag deploying automatically over say, installing a new module at a cost of $450,000.00??? (OK, so it is actually just under 2Grand, but that is still insane to me).

Thank you for the help.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:32 PM

Why would you think that a used module is more likely to malfunction, or deploy in error? I'd definitely use it--the system is self checking and as long as the light is OFF then the system should work fine! Remember, ALL PARTS ARE USED! or they become used a second after you install them...

Old 11-10-2009, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by tedv
Why would you think that a used module is more likely to malfunction, or deploy in error? I'd definitely use it--the system is self checking and as long as the light is OFF then the system should work fine! Remember, ALL PARTS ARE USED! or they become used a second after you install them...
Something told me that the very first reply from a Volvo forum would not be a "welcome to our community" or some other such pleasantry, but instead a snooty, strategically worded comment meant to make me feel stupid.

Thanks TED!

Anyway, the REASON I would think such a thing is because if such a sensitive part is yanked out of a crashed vehicle then maybe, just maybe, the part might somehow be more likely to be defective. Capice?

Of course, the other reason I might suspect such a thing is because I am not a master mechanic or a Volvo expert, as apparently you are (or think you are).

If I had your "expertise" and experience, I might not be worried about a used part in the least, but guess what Einstein, apparently my concerns are not that unusual given the fact that the dealership itself will make me sign a waiver, releasing them from any legal responsibility or liability on their part should the USED airbag module fail in some capacity....which brings me to the THIRD reason I might suspect a used module to fail - because if the dealership recognizes the risk, then I should probably accept the fact that they see such a risk for a reason.

Sorry, I am just in no mood to put up with yet ANOTHER elitist car snob and forum bully who wants to start off a reply to a reasonable question from a newcomer by trying to make me feel ashamed for asking it in the first place.

Last edited by bluestravels; 11-10-2009 at 02:06 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 11-10-2009, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by bubba240
Bubba thank you. Interesting link. At the risk of setting myself up for even more ridicule, how do I best remove the small cover to the SRS panel on my center console?

Also, will resetting the Module (if that even works) possibly deploy the bag?

Finally, the dealership supposedly did a "diagnostic" and they told me the module was bad based on a code they got. They supposedly were not able to zero it out. Do you think it is still worth the trouble of trying this trick myself?

Thanks so much.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:15 PM

Most likely they retreved the codes using the same method described in the link I posted.

Here is some more info on the srs system:
http://www.brickboard.com/FAQ/700-900/ElectricalSRS.htm

As stated in this FAQ it might be a bad connection vs. a real problem with a sensor or the module.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by bubba240
Most likely they retreved the codes using the same method described in the link I posted.

Here is some more info on the srs system:
http://www.brickboard.com/FAQ/700-900/ElectricalSRS.htm

As stated in this FAQ it might be a bad connection vs. a real problem with a sensor or the module.
Thanks again.

I tried calling the dealership and asking them what code the computer threw, and they informed me that a hand-held scanner of some sort was used and they there was no print-out.

Do you happen to know what sort of tool they were using and what it would cost me to buy one for myself or where one can be purchased?

The dealership seems like a swell bunch of folks, really, but obviously if I were to reset this I could save myself $200.00

Old 11-10-2009, 04:47 PM

Dear Blues...
After carefully rereading my comment to you, I can't possibly understand how that prompted the tirade directed at me based on a simple rhetorical question which was meant to enlighten rather than belittle.
Oh, and WELCOME! The complimentary fruit basket is on its way!

Old 11-10-2009, 05:12 PM

I'm still waiting for my complimentary 6 pack!

Old 11-10-2009, 06:00 PM

Dear Blues...
After carefully rereading my comment to you, I can't possibly understand how that prompted the tirade directed at me based on a simple rhetorical question which was meant to enlighten rather than belittle.
Ted, few things are as frustration as being misunderstood. If I totally misread the tone of the reply, please accept my apologies. I mean that most sincerely.

Cheers