Vibration in steering at higher speeds

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 01:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration in steering at higher speeds

I i have a 91' 740 turbo 4 door and ive always had a light rattle kind of thing in my steering when going between 40-65. I just had my older wheels put back on the car with new tires. They were ballanced and all that good stuff. But i def notice this vibration a lot more now when on the highway. It kind of like a lub dub kinda sound as i got from 40-65, and it goes away at times when i am turning the wheel. But when i am going stright its kinda violent at times. I also put new pads on the front and had a problem with the sliding pins so maybe thats the problem? What else could it be? A part that needs to be replaced? When it vibrates, it dosent seem to pull anywhich way it jsut shakes (the wheel). Thanks!

Old 02-13-2008, 02:14 PM
Default RE: Vibration in steering at higher speeds

its more of a shudder sound, and goes away a bit when i am going into a turn. One of the front wheels does have a bend in it due to a curb. Could that throw it off? Im so lost and this studdering is so annoying at higher speeds.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:14 PM

How about a bearing? If the wheels were balanced, and it goes away in a turn, a bearing is a posibility. Also, I'd swap the wheels back to front and see if that changes anything.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:32 PM

I would get the fron end aligned. If that doesn't do it then it is most likely a wheel bearing.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:50 PM

Before throwing money at the problem, swap wheels front to rear and test drive it, if it greatly reduced you are ok, or buy a new wheel rim for the bent one.

If it still vibrates, wait til it start acting up and check to see if the disks are smoking hot....without braking to stop.
If the pads or calipersbind they can heat warp the rotor and induce wobble.
Had that on mine, the wobble was so bad I had to pull over and let the disk cool down before being able to drive again.

Also test the balljoints, jack car up just enough to lift wheel 3 inches of the ground and put a lever under the tire, watch ball joint as you lever the wheel up a couple of inches. Other problems might show in this test too such as the cone bushings in the radius arm. Cheap to fix.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:52 PM

Thanks for the info, the switching the tire thing is a great and simple idea, i will try that first tomorrow before i head off to classes for the day and let ya know. Thanks!

Old 02-15-2008, 08:25 AM

Ok, so i switched the front wheels for the rear wheels and it worked! There is still a little bit of vibration but ill just chalk that up as the road and the car being 17 years old. But thanks for the info guys, thoes simple things always slip my mind because i freak out because i dont have time to really work on my car as i have school and work (where i deliver). Also im going to say that the front of the car was shuddering because thoes wheels on the font were messed up. One had a bend in it, and the other one i believe is a knock off Volvo wheel, i only think this because i see no markings like on all the other wheels and also the holes for the studs are a little diffrent and the lug nuts have grinded into the wheel over time. Looks and feels secure but ill work on getting an OEM wheel. Anyway, thanks for the input guys!

Old 02-15-2008, 12:05 PM

Check your tire pressure too,I just did a balljoint job that coulda been fixed by putting some air in my 24psi tires.
It felt like the front end wass wobbling, because it was.