Volvo 240 Gl 1992 more to learn about

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 09:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo 240 Gl 1992 more to learn about

Greetings;
I am the owner of a recently purchased Volvo 240 GL 1992 model, I paid below the going rate here in Ottawa Ontario Canada. However, it had many issues. Fortunately, it was not rust related. The Engine transmission and differential are in mint shape. I have changed all filters all fluids. I have gone to Amsoil products where indicated. Esso (Exxon USA) technical staff were very helpful when it came to flushing the transmission so I bought a lot of their ATF fluid to do the flush. It now has all new brakes a new timing belt, which was a learning experience. Side note I bought every manual available and got dealer information and utilized the web sites but never forget the public library service and the CAA has for it member a online repair manual site for a fee. I replace the timing belt I made my own counter-hold tool. I replaced the transmission to radiator line as it had rusted out I bought the best pipe available then bent and flared the pipe to original bends and twists. There were some signs of rust on the transmission oil pan so I got the best product reported a warranty protection product from Ford a high temperature anti rust coating which works so far. The car was vandalized so I replace all the lights many parts were missing due to some one trying to make a street racer out of it. I put the exhaust back to Volvo from the street racer Cheery Bomb exhaust I am a conservative older driver not a young racer. The wiring was a total mess. Show off lights everywhere and stereo system with a something like 500 watts with a disk changer and sub woofer in the back. All that junk is gone and it is now back to clean Volvo. The CD-Stereo is an aftermarket Sony. The young man who owned the vehicle a so called mechanic wired the alarm wiring to the stereo speakers fortunately I found this out and did not blow anything. The ad in wiring was just jammed in or wire wraps with a duck tape cover. So any wiring to be replaced I used a Molex connector set which comes from the US via the electronic wholesalers route cost a few hundred dollars. Other things I like are a tachometer I am an old bush pilot and learned how to use this instrument because the GL version did not come with a tachometer I put one in and a voltmeter. The Over Drive light stayed on so I traced the problem to the OD relay and did a circuit analyst of the insides of the relay and as reported on other help sites the German made relay has a cold solder issues. That fixed, resolder the board, plus the other problems and the vehicle drives like a dream.
Things to consider to try- platinum plus or iridium sparkplugs, winter is coming I will need snow tires do not go to your Volvo dealer the rims are discontinued now, I went out of province got a fantastic deal on used rims. My next quest if good snow tires. For next summer my air-conditioning is not producing enough cold air I put my gage set on it no pressure I used my Robinair Electronic leak detector and found no leeks so this looks like serious work. Another issue is the paint originally a dark blue but due to it being vandalized it was what looks like it was spray painted with matt black spay can lacquer. I need a garage it seems.