Volvo 240 Heater Blower Fan NO A/C

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 04:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo 240 Heater Blower Fan NO A/C

Hi all, can someone help on this often covered topic. If you search the web for how to replace these then you will get some really helpful guides on how to dismantle your car to replace the heater blower fan and/or resistor. However, all of these are for cars with A/C's.

I live in the UK, so a search for parts here will show some very different looking pieces of kit to that IPd or any of the a/c guides are showing. That's not just crappy stock photos.This link information that states that it could be either blower motor or resistor pack that are located under the glove box but this is on 7xx or 9xx cars...
This is great new because it means that, unlike a/c owners, you need only remove the glovebox and from there you can replace either fan or resistor or both.

#1 I'm yet to take the glove box out to look at this and confirm this is the case for a volvo 240 though... can someone tell me any different?

#2 Does anyone know where to get a resistor for non a/c cars from? The reason I say this is that the fan will turn (a little noisily) on the highest setting, but nothing beneath that so it's more likely to be a resistor!!

Last edited by Honest989; 02-02-2015 at 04:10 AM.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:59 AM
Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

If the fan is noisy on the highest setting, then most likely your blower motor is bad.

As far as I know, there is no difference between AC vs. no AC when purchasing a resistor for a 240. Likewise, it doesn't matter on the installation. It buried under the center console and the dash has to be taken apart to access.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:30 PM

I think I've sussed it out. Unfortunately, my car falls into the 'standard unit' camp rather than the combined unit. As a result, I've got a bit unit that is fed anti freeze into a heater matrix and all the fan does is blow over that and pump hot air into the car. There is no resistor (unless the motor switch doubles as that) Unfortunately, this is a worse job than the AC one. You need hose clamps and have to take the entire unit out in order to change the fan.

I'll need to grab some days off....

Old 02-02-2015, 01:48 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

the wiring diagram for the non-AC version show the resistors are inside the motor unit. I pulled up the 1991 diagram randomly.

wiring is really simple. fuse 3 goes to the heater switch pin 4. heater switches pins 1,2,3 go to green,blue,red wires, which go to the motor assembly.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default flame suit on

First, let me say that I think it is a noble thing to remove everything to do the blower motor.

I replaced my motor using the "hacksaw method" in about 1 1/2 hours. To do this, unscrew the center console and pull it towards the shifter,

Remove the kick panels which cover the unit housing.

Using a dremel or similar, cut about an 8 in. circle out of each side of the blower housing. You need to cut a little on the venturi.

Remove and do not lose the spring clips and remove the rotors. Note that they are specific to each side. (the rotors)

Remove motor.

Replace motor.

Re-install rotors.

Using aluminum ducting tape, not "duct tape", reattach the circles.

Return center panel.

Reinstall kick panels.

Use this for a reference for cutting etc.:
Volvo 240 Heater AC Blower Fan Motor Replacement

Enjoy the rest of your day off.

Mine has been absolutely fine for two years and I use the heater *a lot*.
But that's me.

On our non-wrong-side models, the fan comes out to the left side.

Last edited by fochs; 02-02-2015 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:19 AM

Hi Fochs,

If only it was that simple.

I've seen those articles at clean flame trap. IPD actually pointed me there but I had discovered them previously.

Unfortunately, you guys in the States got a 'Combined Unit' (CU). Long and the short is that, while you either dismantle the dash or cut strategic holes in places to access the blades and motor unit (and resistor), you can pretty much leave the unit in situ.

When you're not in the States or in Canada, you got issued with a 'Standard Unit' which is a different ball game to the CU. The only way of accessing innards of the standard unit is to pull the whole thing out, split it down the middle and unscrew the motors etc.

It's on Page 2 of this link

Old 02-03-2015, 08:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had no idea. Horrifying.