Volvo 240 won't start -

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 01:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo 240 won't start -

Hi, Thanks in advance for your suggestions or advice. My 1987 240 wagon will not start. It ran fine and got home turned car off came back later would not start. I have had a couple of occasions that it would start and seems to run ok and then quit and can not get it going. The car has good spark. I have checked terminals at the main relay from the battery and from the ignition switch at the relay and have power. I haven't actually checked voltage but don't seem to have power going to the pumps and injectors. I can take a jumper wire and power the pump fuse at the fuse block and hear the pump run. I didn't have a fuel pressure guage that I could connect up to the fuel rail conncetion to test the pressure. I did take the fuel line off at the fuel rail and powered the pump and it squirted fuel out in a stream.
I had a extra ECM and have swapped it out with no luck. Can things like the mass air, oxygen sensor, idling valve, temp sensors, throttle position sensor, etc keep one from running?

Old 12-07-2006, 08:41 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Volvo 240 won't start -

Do you have power coming out of the pump relay with the key on?

Open the relay and check for melted solder joints.

Old 12-11-2006, 11:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I discovered what the problem was in the car not starting. I had power to the relay terminals but the relays would not set. It occured to me about something like a ground issue or ? As it turned out there is a 12-14 guage wire that connects to the battery terminal that the nut had backed off and was intermittently was making contact. I tightened this up and checked some of the ground lugs under the hood and went in and it started right up. It is running good now. There were several things that made detecting this difficult. I had several volvo manuals from years prior and every fuel system/ wiring diagram had changes from year to year some subltle some not. The closest wiring diagram was a year or so earlier and there were changes. The thing that threw me was that i could jumper at the fuse box to the pumps fuses and they would run and with the hose off the fuel rail I was squirting gas. There was power at the relay at terminal 30 and I was getting power on the terminal from the key switch but the relays would not set. With out knowing what the ECU logic was it pointed to a problem with a ground. It is running good now though. If anyone would have a 1987 wiring diagram they would share it would be greatly appreciated for the next time. Thanks for the assistance.

Old 12-11-2006, 09:08 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Glad you found it.