Volvo 940 shifts late

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 05:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo 940 shifts late

• I bought my 92 940 5 years ago and it has always shifted late in 2 gear at around 30mph.It has never really got worse and I guess it does bother me a little as I do want it to shift correctly.A friend of mine said I should look into getting the trans fluid changed as I never did cause I heard it was bad to do on an older car,or it could be the actual trans filter might be clogged.Any suggestions on what it could be and does the fluid or filter make a difference in my issue???

Old 06-27-2012, 06:58 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

geez, if I'm just coasting along gently, my 92 is darn near in OD at 30mpg.

anyone who says changing transmission fluid is bad should be bound and gagged.

with the car well warmed up, and idling, pull the tranny stick, wipe, reinsert, then check. also feel and sniff the stuff on the stick end, it should be clear red, but likely is at least light brown. if its 'burned'' smelling, or dark brown/black, it definitely should be changed ASAP, with a good flushing. this will take a dozen quarts or so of ATF..

if that hasn't been done in a long time, it would be a good idea to drop and clean the 'pan' too, but thats a delicate job, there's a ton of complicated valving and stuff down there.

late shifts can also be caused by a misadjusted or sticky downshift cable.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply Pierce,The fluid was low and i got it up to level but it was clear fluid.I usually post the same question on another volvo site and like to see the different opinions but you said exactly what someone else said about the cable and their reply was:

On that trans with a throttle cable for shift regulation, the late shift is usually a cable adjustment or bad cable issue. Look at throttle spool assy on engine. Follow the cables. One goes directly to firewall and the other runs down behind engine. The throttle pedal one will be up high on spool and the trans one that runs down behind engine is lower. The trans cable capull away from its end with the threaded adjuster and make it tight and falsely signal a much higher throttle application. When throttle is opened to a higher amount the trans is supposed to delay the shift points. If it is pulled out see if it can be pushed back into the threaded end. If it appears to be OK then adjust it. The cable that sticks out of adjuster should have a little slack when throttle is closed and begine to pulled out of the adjuster when throttle is operated with minimal delay.