At what mileage did you have to... (MTBF FAQ project)

Old 01-13-2014, 09:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default At what mileage did you have to... (MTBF FAQ project)

Hi all,

I was thinking it would be handy to know what the MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure) point was for various components on bricks.

This IMO would aid in keeping them running. E.g., I had to replace the fuel pump/crank sensor on my 92' 740GL at ~200k miles, the starter at ~220k.

Anybody interested in creating something like this?

Old 01-13-2014, 10:15 AM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

What would be the point? You'd end up replacing some parts with much useful life left in them while others would still fail.
I don't replace things til they fail, never before, never just because it's "time". The reason is of course cost of parts an labor, why would you fix it if it's not broken? We love these cars because they are quality and well built with predictable habits and ease of maintenance, not showoffs designed to impress your neighbors with high ownership costs. Besides, aftermarket parts today are very dodgy so just because something is new doesn't mean it's automatically better. In aviation they use this method of replacing/rebuilding based on certain time intervals but that's because you can't pull a 747 over and call AAA! With an old Volvo, half the joy is knowing that I paid $1,000 seven years ago, and it serves me with very minimal (may be $200) a year maintenance cost... Again, if and when it breaks, I'll pull over and call AAA which is another $100 a year but works for all the rest of my cars...

Old 01-13-2014, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by lev
What would be the point?
Diagnosis.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:34 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I agree. AAA is actually about $50 per year. Most of us have towing on our insurance for $1 per month.

I put over 400,000 on the red brick (740 GLE) I had and never had to replace a cam sensor, crank sensor, cam seal, and dozens of other parts that people consider time change parts. If it is not in the owners manual listed as a maintenance item like the timing belt and flame trap is, there is no expected failure rate.

In that 400,000 miles I think my car was towed twice, once from an incident where I damaged the fuel tank and another when the main fuel pump went out.

In these cars, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is the motto. Now the P80 white block cars are a little different.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by rspi
I agree. AAA is actually about $50 per year. Most of us have towing on our insurance for $1 per month.

I put over 400,000 on the red brick (740 GLE) I had and never had to replace a...
...Diagnosis!

Not sure why you guys assumed I want to prophylactically replace components on my bricks...

Old 01-13-2014, 10:51 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Well, I guess I would say trying to track that information would be pointless. My car had over 400,000 miles on it and the starter never failed. All because your alternator failed at 220,000 would not mean anything to me because I'm not going to change it until it fails, and that may be at 300,000 or 165,000.

In other words, who would want to attempt to gather that information? I guess you can troll through the Volvo forums and put together a chart from what you find in the threads and post it somewhere. You could also sit down with a Volvo mechanic and ask them how often they replace parts on their customers cars.

I guess if you don't have anything else in life to do, you can do that. Maybe someone will find it and enjoy/appreciate your research.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:45 PM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

What do you mean 'diagnosis"?
You think if you car runs poorly you can divine the cause by knowing when a part was last changed or not? In an ideal world where everybody bought a new car and kept immaculate records of all parts changes, and did it all himself, it may have some value. In the real world, furgedaboudit!

Old 01-14-2014, 06:44 AM
Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

This could be useful information as I like to plan a little ahead in my fixes. There are two bricks in my family - both having around 230k miles on them. I for one want to be prepared when the trans goes out on one. My guess is that an average maintained AW70 tranny lasts around 250k miles. But that is just a guess. This sort of info would be useful so that when one does go, I can be prepared with a replacement that would minimize my downtime.

This is more of a matter of philosophy of driving. I for one like to fix major problems before they break and leave me stranded. Others prefer to wait till they break to fix them.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree w/ all of the above, if it aint broke, don't fix it. Some would tell you change your timing belt every 50k miles...huh...I've got 276k on mine and all I've had to replace was the tensenioner bearing....the belt looked new. so save your money, get AAA and replace parts when they stop working.....just my thoughts.....and I want to let you know, there are a lot of guys on this forum that know a lot more than me and I feel it a honor to be in their company...burningfire.