Window Mechanism

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 07:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Mechanism

Hello all. With the 88 240 I'm "getting up to speed", I've come across a problem with the driver's side front window. It is not power, it is manual. The window is off it's track, and everything in there is bent. I'm going to have to replace everything in there to get this thing back to normal. The window falls down in the door, the only way to get it back up, is to manually pull it up, and hope it stays during a storm, which it usually doesn't. Any ideas on who would sell this part? I'm already looking at junkyards, sending in parts requests. I might just buy a motor kit, and make it a power window. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Matthew

Old 08-23-2005, 08:11 PM
Default RE: Window Mechanism

That really stinks, they can be a serious PIA. The junk yards are probably the best way to go.

Old 08-23-2005, 08:37 PM

No joke. I've done everything you can with regards to rebuilding trannys and engines, and diagnostics. But, body hardware and whatnot is new to me. I can tell just by looking down in the door with a flashlight that everything is jacked up in there. Something wasn't reinstalled right, is my guess. I can only assume that is not the original hardware. Anyhow. Thanks, I'll be scouring many junkyards over the next couple of weeks.

Matthew

Old 08-23-2005, 09:12 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes the junk yard is the best place unless you want to spend $$$$$$$$$$$ and lots of it.

Old 08-23-2005, 09:22 PM

I've got my first little girl on the way, I'm not made of money. (what will be) Her room is practically made of money now. LOL.

Old 08-24-2005, 08:48 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

LOL I know the feeling I have 4 Kids.

Old 09-10-2005, 02:27 PM

I've just joined, and this is really weird (for me) as I too am just starting a 1988 240 (mine is a wagon) and I too am having a damn pile of problems with the drivers window. Though mine aren't as severe as yours, I think I can offer some advice.

I strongly recommend going to one of those "u pick, u pull" places. Removing/installing this mechanism is about as hard as servicing anything on these cars, not very... That said, I find taking the mechanism from another car can be a great education for installing it on yours. You mentioned that many of the components are bent, I find on my 240's, the big problem is with the white plastic grommet that the mechanism slides along. When you have the door panel removed inside the car, you can see these white plastic critters, they are very much the shape of a "tuning fork". I have on several occasions noticed that the problem was that this grommet had cracked, and that is why the mechanism fell off.

Keep in touch with how the repair is going, if you can't find the part locally, I know I can here, and perhaps we could work something out.

Chris
Charlottetown, PEI

Old 12-06-2005, 10:47 PM

Had a similar problem with my passenger side window, and I fixed it for $2.00. The window channel broke off of the bracket that holds it to the cranking mechanism. Un-pin the bracket and remove it. Clean all the old rubber gasket from the channel and the window, then rivet (2 or three 1/8") the bracket to the channel in its proper position, you'll be able to see where it was mounted. File the back of the rivets if needed. Get rubber window channel from a place that repairs auto glass, (my $2.00 cost). Lay the rubber into the channel and push the window into the channel, again in its proper position. The window mechanism is very soft and easily bent, you should be able to work it back into a reasonal facimilty of its original shape without removing it. Supprisingly, if you can get close the window will work, just be patient. Look at the opposite door to see how its supposed to be. Once you get it back into shape, install the window and bracket and re pin to the window mechanism. Roll'er up, roll'er down, you're done!

Old 12-06-2005, 11:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before you purchase anything take off the door panel and look. Twice I have been able to fix my window for free. One time the bolt that holds the window channel had fallen out and the window came out of the channel. I reinstalled the bolt in the bottom of the door. Another time on the passenger side the spot welds had broken I drilled a small hole and re welded but it could have been done with bolts or rivets. To get the door panel off you have to pry out two plugs in the main door handel two phillips head screws then turn handle about 60 degrees untill it comes off the rest is like any other door. The plastic is important!

Old 12-07-2005, 10:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try www.car-part.com for junkyard near you.