1993-960 Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 01:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993-960 Help!

First off I would just like to say what an amazing forum this is!

Here is my issue:

Last night, not more than a minute into my drive to the store, my 960 started acting funny... I would hit the gas but the car wouldn't go. No RPMs, no rev-ing. I pulled over thinking maybe the gears were not shifting right (it is an automatic transmission) and it needed a second to get back on track, a 'reset' of sorts. But while I am sitting there idling, it began to shake and or putter a bit. It would stay running/idling but it did have a shake to it. I have never had this problem with this Volvo before. I was able to get it back to my house by basically putting it in drive and coasting back.

Today I started it up, everything seemed fine (I hit the gas and the RPMs went up like normal) so I decided to take it around the block to be sure. And, sure enough, about a minute in, the problem started again. Only this time the car was idling a bit more rough than it had last night. And now when I try to hit the gas the car shuts off.

I am NOT a mechanic by any means and my automotive knowledge is very limited, which may have been obvious as per some of the aforementioned but I WANT to learn. I have done pads/rotors/calipers/shocks/struts on my 960 so far, and it has been such a rewarding process. I would love to tackle this issue as well. I really do need some input as to a diagnosis. My guess was the fuel filter or the alternator??? Any thing you guys have to offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 11-15-2013, 09:04 PM

I think your problem could be a dirty ground connection or broken wire. The book shows a couple of ground points under the hood and then again there are more ground points shown in the engine/fuel/ignition control. (Factory wiring diagram for the 94, you can get it from volvowiringdiagrams.com)

I have found on my own car the ignition coil connectors have fallen apart, and this: 960 Information

See if the engine control logged any fault codes. You got any?

Old 11-16-2013, 09:32 AM

You are going to need to do some diagnostics. How many miles on the car? Is the engine making any noises when it is running?
Sqeaks, whines? Last timing belt change?

Is the check engine light on? Are there any stored codes? The code reader in under the hood. Do a search for diagnostic code reading for a volvo 960. Not all codes will light up the dash light. All codes are just clues, they may point to a sensor, but most sensors are very durable and it could be entirely something else.

It could be quite a few things, power stage, fuel pump, ignition or injector relay, temp sensor, rpm sensor, a large vacuum leak. And possibly only a connection with corrosion.

On the '93 there are two fuel pumps, a pre pump and a main pump. The pre pump is located in the fuel tank and the main underneath the driver seat under the car. It is possible to have the main pump fail and the engine still run. It will run as you describe.

Also, these cars are famous for wiring that abrades that power the spark plug coils, remove the "Volvo" cover off the top of the engine and inspect the wiring harness. Make sure each wire is still attached to each coil plug.

DanR '94 964 387,000 miles (153,000 on the new engine)

Last edited by danr960; 11-16-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:36 PM

Hey guys, thank you for your responses. I really appreciate it.

Yesterday evening a local Volvo guy came by and helped me diagnose the issue. He thinks it is the fuel pump (under the driver's side), as when I tried to start the car he didn't hear the usual noise coming from the pump... didn't sound like it had kicked on. And as of now I can barely get the car to start.

There are about 180,00 miles on the car (original engine), no unusual noises coming from the engine, and I did have the serpentine belt replaced just a few years ago, but not the timing belt. I have had a number of electrical issues with this car, from relays to wiring, mainly in the bulb/signaling departments. My currently battery does have a bit of corrosion on the connections. I plan on replacing it soon but I don't know how much influence that may have on this particular issue.

VDonkey, i'm looking over that link you posted right now, lots of useful information in there. I may try and give that stuff an inspection today and report my findings to you guys. Thank you for bearing with me as I am very much a "noob" when it comes to this stuff.

I'm thinking that I may have to just try and get the car to his shop and work on it with him there. Diagnosing an issue like this is turning out to be a bit beyond my current knowledge and frankly, a little intimidating. I will post my results upon having the car fixed in the case that this thread may help somebody else in the future.

Thanks again for taking the time to send me your thoughts!

Last edited by dangerbeard; 11-16-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:18 PM

If you'd like to clean your battery terminals, don't forget that this will make the ecu forget the codes, so blink them out & write them down first.