1997 Volvo 960 Fuel Rail Leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 09:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Volvo 960 Fuel Rail Leak

Hello all,

I'm brand new here. I did a search first but did not see what I was looking for. I have a 1997 Volvo 960 that I was driving, but then became confined to a wheelchair so it has not been driven much for a year, basically only to take me to doctor's appointments with a paid driver. It is hard and expensive for me to take a vehicle in for service, so I'd like to know if I can afford it before I pay someone to do it for me.

On a ride the other day, we noticed a fuel smell, and my driver looked under the hood and spotted a fuel leak while the car is running. From looking at Youtube videos, it looks like a leak from the "fuel rail" which I think means the injector seals need to be replaced.

Does anyone know how big a job this is, price-wise? I have looked at what is involved enough to know it is beyond me or the driver doing it. Does it require special Volvo skill, or should any mechanic be able to do it? Can anyone help me with an idea of cost? I've called five mechanics this morning and no one will tell me anything except "bring it in".

I'm on a fixed income due to my current disability and need to know how much money to set aside for the job. If it is a big number, I can just park the car until I raise it. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@OldCop876:

Welcome to the forum!

I dug about on this end using the Chilton Labor Estimating Tool. Labor for the '97 B6304 engine ranges from 1.7 to 1.9 shop hours to do a complete fuel rail replacement. You could probably count on this timeframe for budgetary purposes (might be less if you can find a good shop in your area).

From what I understand of the job, it should be fairly straightforward for anyone who does this type of work reasonably well. There appear to be no special "Volvo" tools required beyond common sense

Check with your local public library & see if they can give you access to the Chilton or AllData online service guides; as these resources are worthwhile in many cases with our cars --

Have a great day

Last edited by Cubic_Curiosity; 10-07-2015 at 10:14 AM.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OldCop876
Hello all,

I'm brand new here. I did a search first but did not see what I was looking for. I have a 1997 Volvo 960 that I was driving, but then became confined to a wheelchair so it has not been driven much for a year, basically only to take me to doctor's appointments with a paid driver. It is hard and expensive for me to take a vehicle in for service, so I'd like to know if I can afford it before I pay someone to do it for me.

On a ride the other day, we noticed a fuel smell, and my driver looked under the hood and spotted a fuel leak while the car is running. From looking at Youtube videos, it looks like a leak from the "fuel rail" which I think means the injector seals need to be replaced.

Does anyone know how big a job this is, price-wise? I have looked at what is involved enough to know it is beyond me or the driver doing it. Does it require special Volvo skill, or should any mechanic be able to do it? Can anyone help me with an idea of cost? I've called five mechanics this morning and no one will tell me anything except "bring it in".

I'm on a fixed income due to my current disability and need to know how much money to set aside for the job. If it is a big number, I can just park the car until I raise it. Thanks to anyone who can help.

This job and ones like it, should cost you no more than 250.00. You might even want to find a Volvo dealer to do it, because after they do a repair, it is guaranteed forlife of the vehicle. That might be worth the extra 50.00 or so over a good independent.

Also: look around on the internet and look for a Youtube guy named DIY Bob as well. His real name is Robert Spinner and he is very passionate about stuff like this.

He travels a lot and will advise you. You can call him on the phone, he accepted calls from me when I was helping a guy who was on a fixed income and afraid to call him on the phone. Sometimes when he travels, he even fixes people's cars.

Look him up and see what he can do to help or advise you.

Where are you? I have helped people with their MB diesels in California and I live in Michigan.

Good luck-- many resources out there, don't give up too soon.