960 Vacuum tank location

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 07:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 960 Vacuum tank location

Hi guys-

Still struggling with my AC problems, and need to check the vacuum tank connections. I've been reading alot and now I am confused as to where the tank is. Seems like some folks are saying it's under the passenger side knee panel, and others are saying it's in the engine compartment up front. Which is it?

Also, if I'm checking vacuum connections in the cabin, which side are they on? I think the vacuum solenoid controller is on the passenger side, but I saw some connections under the driver's side too.

To recap, my vents lose airflow under even moderate acceleration. Funny thing is, I don't seem to get redirected airflow to defrost or floor when it happens. It's like the blower just stops, and then starts again once i'm up to speed.

Any help is appreciated. Pretty hot here in Dallas...

Thanks-
Brady

Old 07-28-2013, 04:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 960 rookie
Hi guys-

Still struggling with my AC problems, and need to check the vacuum tank connections. I've been reading alot and now I am confused as to where the tank is. Seems like some folks are saying it's under the passenger side knee panel, and others are saying it's in the engine compartment up front. Which is it?

Also, if I'm checking vacuum connections in the cabin, which side are they on? I think the vacuum solenoid controller is on the passenger side, but I saw some connections under the driver's side too.

To recap, my vents lose airflow under even moderate acceleration. Funny thing is, I don't seem to get redirected airflow to defrost or floor when it happens. It's like the blower just stops, and then starts again once i'm up to speed.

Any help is appreciated. Pretty hot here in Dallas...

Thanks-
Brady

The vacuum tank and control valves are located under the passenger side knee bolster.

Yes, you need to rule out bad rubber fittings, especially in the engine compartment. Look around the bottom of the air intake, there could be a leak else where than the ac/hv system, it could be before it. Those rubber elbows that are on the vacuum lines under the hood, have a tendency to rot out on their under sides, so the top look good to the eyeball, but underneat it maybe gone.

If everything else checks out you might have to start trying other methods for the vacuum motor.

DanR '94 964 387,000 mile (153,000 on the new engine)