Vacuum Hose location confusion

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 05:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Vacuum Hose location confusion

After installing new cylinder head on my volvo 960...I believe that some of the vacuum hoses were not connected correctly...The picture below is what I have seen in all frontal engine pics of the 96 960..The vacuum line(outlined in red )is going WHERE?....on my car....my mechanic has that red line going up to the oneway vacuum line cluster(illustrated by the yellow line)

Every engine pic I have seen of the 960...I see that line(red line) come down towards the front of the engine and vanish behind the throttle housing and i dont know there's a junction of other vacuum lines in that area...

As you can see I am completely lost as to what lines do what and go where...please help!!

Last edited by dejr; 03-25-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:16 AM
Angry vacuum line confusion update

problem solved...and now I HAVE FULL POWER FROM MY A/C HEATER BLOWER...WITH INCREASING POWER AS I SWITCH THE DIAL FROM 0,2345 AS IT WAS DESIGNED...THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!

Old 03-25-2012, 06:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The red line is the vacuum from the PAIR (Pulsed Air or Secondary Air System)) solenoid to the PAIR Valve. Solenoid is mounted on the Left-hand shocktower. Valve is where you show both red and yellow lines connected to.

Red line however must not be connected to the Vacuum Tree, below the Throttle Housing.

Also, there should be no yellow line routed that way to the PAIR Valve.

There are also three vacuum lines penetrating the firewall. See this https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6p...ZUpmRkxIbVBfQQ

Last edited by Henry10; 03-25-2012 at 06:48 AM.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:03 AM
Default vaccum line confusion..apparently cont..

ok...so based on my illustration..I took the yellow vac line and disconnected it from the valve(where i have red and yellow together)and connected that end to one of the vacuum terminals on the vacuum "hub" below throttle housing. Then I took new vacuum hose(red) and strung it from the "valve" to the canister with a couple of vacuum lines the split off from it...I plugged it into the vacuum terminal that points downward.

Everything seemed to be fine..my blower for my a/c and heat came to life....got an increase in blower pressure as i turn control *** higher..(before..no increase in sound of pressure...turning the *** did nothing but on or off)

however last night after driving on the highway for about 20 miles...as i came to a stop and parked...the smell of oil was present in cab...
I am going now to take pictures to better illustrate what i did so u will have a better understanding of my f....k up....stay tuned

Last edited by dejr; 03-25-2012 at 10:06 AM. Reason: continuation
Old 03-25-2012, 10:17 AM

based on ur photo of the firewall vacuum lines....the line u identified as the 'to vacuum tree on manifold" was the vac line connected to the "valve" above the exhaust manifold from the firewall vacuum lines....and my a/c heater blower didnt work very well.....i connected it to that vacuum tree on sheer luck(i did read that those were one way lines and supported ac/heater)....

what i dont know and obviously didnt connect correctly was the vac line that runs from the "valve" about exhaust manifold to the other side of the engine....Its normally pictured as a blue vac line that runs from valve then down right side of valve cover then along timing belt housing and then back up towards throttle housing...but disappears out of every pic I have seen...

Old 03-25-2012, 10:23 AM

question...is the "left hand shock tower" and firewall vacuum lines the same thing?

Old 03-25-2012, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by dejr
ok...so based on my illustration..I took the yellow vac line and disconnected it from the valve(where i have red and yellow together)and connected that end to one of the vacuum terminals on the vacuum "hub" below throttle housing.
Yellow line definitely goes across behind motor, along the firewall.

As you saw from my picture there are two vacuum lines there that run parallel - 1) vacuum feed to CC (Climate Control) Vacuum Reservoir (located behind glove-box), 2) vacuum line from CC's Vacuum Controller to Heater Valve. This line controls opening/closing of the Heater Valve.

Vacuum on these two lines basically travels opposite each-other.

Which line is the yellow line: 1 or 2? You can tell even by looking at the Check Valve. Line with two parallel Check valves (on my photo) is the Vacuum feed to CC.

Then I took new vacuum hose(red) and strung it from the "valve" to the canister with a couple of vacuum lines the split off from it...I plugged it into the vacuum terminal that points downward.
Define "canister" and "vacuum terminal that points downward". Do you have the Vacuum Diagram in the engine compartment?

based on ur photo of the firewall vacuum lines....the line u identified as the 'to vacuum tree on manifold" was the vac line connected to the "valve" above the exhaust manifold from the firewall vacuum lines....and my a/c heater blower didnt work very well
That was wrong. PAIR Valve (other names for it are SAS Valve, or Purge Valve) opening and closing is vacuum-controlled by a Solenoid. This Solenoid is controlled by ECU. ECU opens this PAIR/SAS Valve at very limited intervals, while the Vacuum Tree contains intake manifold vacuum. Two totally different operations.

Again, PAIR Valve should have not been connected to Tree.

what i dont know and obviously didnt connect correctly was the vac line that runs from the "valve" about exhaust manifold to the other side of the engine....Its normally pictured as a blue vac line that runs from valve then down right side of valve cover then along timing belt housing and then back up towards throttle housing...but disappears out of every pic I have seen...
This vacuum line (I believe 4 mm) goes to the PAIR (SAS) Solenoid, which is mounted on the left fender, under the MAF. Either the solenoid is missing, or you can't see it. Failure to connect this appropriately will trigger CEL.

question...is the "left hand shock tower" and firewall vacuum lines the same thing?
No. See above description of location of PAIR (SAS) Solenoid.

Last edited by Henry10; 03-25-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:00 PM
Default vacuum line confusion update

ok..pic #1 is the hose that I am having confusion with...because after cyl head replacement..my mechanic had a vacuum hose coming from Vacuum Reservoir plugged into the Valve in photo #1.
I removed that vacuum line and plugged it into what u refer to as vacuum tree.
The yellow line i referred to earlier was an illustration of what my mechanic had hooked up....the"yellow line" now travels along firewall to vacuum tree....the line going to heater valve was never disturbed...when i replaced heater valve...i simply unplugged and plugged what was already there.

Photo#2 is where i now have "red line" from "valve" in pic no#1 plugged into. Not sure if this is correct..this is what I referred to as vacuum canister with receptacle pointed downwards....

sorry i dont know any of the correct terminology or names of all the components ...but I am determined to learn so I can describe my issues more clearly...AND WITH THIS FORUMS HELP...I AM LEARNING MORE EACH DAY AND REALLY APPRECIATE IT..THANKS ALOT!!

Attached Thumbnails Vacuum Hose location confusion-vacuum-volvo-960-006.jpg   Vacuum Hose location confusion-vacuum-volvo-960-014.jpg  
Old 03-26-2012, 02:02 PM

NO VACUUM DIAGRAM THAT I AM AWARE OF?? WHERE SHOULD i BE LOOKING...ONLY ONE I SEE IS THAT OF SERPENTINE BELT

Old 03-26-2012, 06:38 PM

This is the Vacuum Diagram, located in Engine Compartment, front-right-hand side (passenger).

What you refer as "canister" looks like the PAIR Solenoid to me. I will check my own car tomorrow.

I think you have the connection correct. Not having a CEL (Check-Engine-Light) is another sign that your PAIR (SAS) system is working properly, or do you have a CEL?

Old 03-27-2012, 03:34 PM

yes i do have a cel and it came on when we fired up the engine the first time after cyl head replacement. After a while it simply went out on its own....it does light up however when I turn ignition key to on position...so i know its not out!!

strange thing is as i said earlier...I just recently took the vacuum line from the vacuum res. that was plugged into the "valve"(on left side of pic #1)and plugged it into vacuum tree..and all of a sudden my heater and a/c blower started to work and had an increase in blower power as i turned up the control *** inside the car...so i knew that move was correct....but then i had a "valve''(left side of pic #1)with no vacuum line coming out of it....and not knowing where to plug it in if i did...because all the pictures of the 960 engine had a blue vac line coming from "valve" then down the rt side of valve cover across timing belt housing and then up towards throttle housing and then dropping off somewhere between power steering pump and and throttle housing...so where i have it connected now was a lucky guess....Now the green line in pic # 2 is connected to the vacuum tree...is that correct?

Old 03-27-2012, 03:53 PM

yes I do have a cel and it came on after first engine start up following cyl head replacement..it eventually went out on its own...after flushing radiator and changing oil a few times after install to clean residue from blown head....etc. Funny thing is ..is that i just recently moved these hoses around....because my blower for a/c and heater would not increase in power when i would turn the blower *** up...and thats when i realized from pictures of the 960 engine that my vacuum line from the "valve" (left side in pic #1) was plugged into the vacuum res. that was located up above on the right...which i now know controls a/c and heater fuctions...I unplugged that vac line from the nipple of the "valve"(left side pic#1)and plugged it into vac tree....and then my blower functions came back...but now have a "valve" with no vacuum line coming from it....and even if it did...i wouldnt know where to run it too...all the pics i have seen have the valve line running down right side of valve cover..over timing belt housing and back up towards throttle housing and then dropping off down somewhere in between the power steering pump and the throttle housing...but I could never see what it was connected too. So where i have it connnected to now illustrated in pic #2 is sure luck...however...the green line in pic #2 is connected to vacuum tree... is that correct?

Old 03-27-2012, 06:00 PM

It sounds like intuitively you have been smarter than your mechanic. Like I said, I will check my car and confirm indeed that you have connected the PAIR (SAS) Solenoid correctly to Tree (on one side) and PAIR/SAS/Purge Valve on the other side.

Did you find the Vacuum Diagram? Where are you located? What is the temperature where you are?

One more thing -- Try to follow the terminology. It's much easier for myself and others to help, when you use Volvo/correct terms.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:04 PM

I didnt find diagram....I live in Lake Arrowhead, California..current temp is 38f....we have snow on the ground! I will try and keep up with the terminology!! thanks again

Old 03-28-2012, 06:02 AM

At your outside temperature (19F - 59F), you should hear the PAIR (Pulsed Air Injection, or SAS = Secondary Air System, same thing) Pump activate for 30 seconds after starting the car. The Pump is connected to the SAS Valve (over the Exhaust Manifold). Pump is the cylindrical shape with the open gooseneck, next to the battery.

Secondary Air System (SAS) has three components:

-Pump
-Valve
-Solenoid

SAS Operation Logic:

ECU basically detect ambient Temp thru sensors, turns on the Pump, tells the Solenoid to open the Valve. Valve is the one to allow air to pass thru from the Pump to the Exhaust Stream. Valve is normally closed so that exhaust gases do not escape thru the Pump.

Why the Pump? PAIR (Pulsed Air) Pump basically pumps air into the exhaust stream for a faster rise of temperature in the Catalytic Converter (to 650 F). It's makes for better emissions and longer Cat life. It works for 10 seconds even at lower temp than 19F, but its purpose then is to prevent Valve and Pump from seizing.

Over 59 F pump operates for 80 seconds. Pump is de-activated at any time if engine exceeds 2500 RPM.