A341E Shift Sequence Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 08:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A341E Shift Sequence Questions

Greetings.

I have a couple of quick questions concerning the A341E shift sequencing/electromechanical actuation scheme.

Is there a truth table or the like available to elucidate the solenoid actuation sequencing which is used to complete the shift pattern for this transmission?

{Second question resolved}

Thank you!

Last edited by Cubic_Curiosity; 02-09-2015 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wish you didn't remove your "second question" and instead posted the answer you found.

Don't know about the solenoids but the service manual explains which freewheels, clutches and brakes are engaged for each gear. (VIDA: Information -> Specifications -> Design and function -> Group 4, 43 -> System function -> Power flow)

I also have the complete ATSG library and while I did not read all of the applicable books (they are listed as toyota and isuzu boxes) I scanned them and did not find out which of the clutches/freewheels/brakes are engaged by which solenoid.

Oh oops, I just found the info you seek. It's in VIDA, from "43" in the steps above, the path is Components -> Mechanical. I knew it was here somewhere.

Solenoids engaged by gear:
R: S1
1: S1
2: S1, S2
3: S2
4: nil

Reverse gear is probably mechanical based on the shifter arm angle.

STH is pressure control and SL is converter lockup (can activate in 2,3,4).

Old 03-17-2015, 08:59 AM

@VDonkey:

Thanks again for the help! I nearly decided to have someone drive the old beast around with me, some scrap paper, and a couple of DVMs serving as shotgun while watching for intel

It looks as though the Japanese settled on a queer arrangement solenoidwise; but I'm sure it saved a couple of bucks putting things together this way. Thanks for the helpful info!

The second question from the OP was this: Is there some combination of WSE which could be chosen to allow a first-gear lockout? The answer seemed to be in hand; as any invocation of W mode is supposed to accomplish this task in the interest of stabilizing traction on ice.

However, driveability is also quite terrible in W thanks to the persistent power-chopping strategy which is also built into this particular map. So, I guess the question is still fair game...

In any event, it looks as though I will need to get hold of a copy of VIDA for survival moving forward. Do you have any suggestions as to which sources/resellers might be a good, safe bet?

Have a great day...

Old 03-17-2015, 11:13 AM

I got VIDA from a torrent site (rutracker org) while it has a lot of 960 information, it is NOT complete. My personal opinion is that this site is trustworthy and its users are sensitive to malware. Still, I use it in a kind of quarantine VM.

If you are going to buy something I would say this should be the "Original Technical Publications" DVD. FCP sells it: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...0-v90-tp-51957 (so far I have managed to get by without this.)

Yes W mode blocks first gear. If your arrow is blinking because of the gear position switch, then second gear will be blocked too. You can then manually choose 3 or 4 by positioning the shifter in 3 or D.

I personally dislike the Japanese parts in the Volvo... years ago I decided I was done with Japan and have become accustomed to the way european carmakers do things.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:51 PM

@VDonkey:

Thanks again for the link and the advice.

Without starting a pummeling round, I would certainly appreciate a full gear-range breakout being available to the driver in this model. No one in my family is an idiot; and I personally have use for control over the full dynamic range of the machinery which I own.

In any event, it sure would be nice to have some way of selectively locking granny out, either by soldering iron or wrench. While I suppose it's good to have on hand, it's really just an extra shift (and wear) point in almost every common driving scenario...

BUT, that being said, nothing can compare with the "shear" joy of running a 4T65E in a 3800 Series II. Probably one of the most perniciously evil mechanisms ever installed in a car, it taught me the skill of manually shifting an automatic with both hand and foot; lest it slip and fry endlessly between gears. Mercifully, that nightmare was called to an end when the plastic intake manifold promptly exploded and caught fire after fresh plugs, wires, and ignition module service. True turn-key excitement!

Which brings us to this, our latest four-wheeled adventure. Now looking forward to something better along the way

Have a great day; and see you soon --

Last edited by Cubic_Curiosity; 03-17-2015 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:32 PM

I think I had that 4T series transaxle in an eighty eight and lost reverse in it. Mom took it to AAMCO. It was a big letdown since I liked that 3800. It would suck down so much fuel if you revved it up.

I am not a big fan of slushboxes but the wife is better at "steering" than "driving" for now - she has the hang of it but needs more practice. The 960 feels kind of slow for a 200 hp sedan. I think it would really liven up with a proper gearbox and matching diff. Alas there are none on this side of the world, and my days of being sent to Europe for work are over, otherwise I would be taking field trips to junkyards so I could properly restore this car to the way it was meant to be like I did to the 540i. At least Volvo did not delete the rear foglamp.