Buying '94 960 -- sagging rear end?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 07:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying '94 960 -- sagging rear end?

Hi, I'm thinking of buying a 960 but the rear end is sagging. I've heard of the ninomat shocks, how easily and cheaply can they be replaced with regular shocks?

Thanks a lot!

Old 03-07-2011, 07:56 PM

Just bought a '94 960. Someone put those cheesy helpers in the spring coils - 4 on each side. It has the Nivomat shocks which are completely shot. Been researching for an alternative and haven't found anything yet. From what I can gather, it's a different configuration than a standard shock in terms of mounting, also a softer spring as the Nivomat shock incorporate a spring as well. Let me know if you find anything out.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by plumonium
Hi, I'm thinking of buying a 960 but the rear end is sagging. I've heard of the ninomat shocks, how easily and cheaply can they be replaced with regular shocks?
Check this out:
Nivomat Conversion Kits

Old 04-05-2011, 08:29 AM

Here's a great explanation of the Nivomat (Swedish for "expensive") system. My cousin is a certified Volvo mechanic, and he says the most common problem - by far - is a small leak somewhere. He also said that he's seen many Volvos with half-a-million or more miles on them, and the Nivomat works flawlessly. After all, the shocks are actually supported by the hydraulic system, so it's fairly rare for the shocks themselves to be shot, especially compared with a "normal" car where the shocks bear the brunt of every pothole and speedbump.

There are some other brands of shocks that are compatible with Nivomat, but you have to get ones specifically for your year and model, so the mounts line up. I've seen them new for $250 each, but you should have a Volvo mechanic install them (that's what he told me, for obvious reasons. There might be a specific reason that I don't know about - some special tool or procedure the guys at Maaco might not know about, though). The dealership he works for charges $350 each for the shocks, and that's not counting installation. (Just wanted you to be aware of the worst-case scenario, economically.)

Personally, I'd do it, even if you have to shell out a grand. The 960 is finest car ever produced by Volvo, and there will never be anything like it again. The Nivomat is the best suspension ever made, in my opinion. It's certainly worth having it checked out by a Volvo mechanic (two, if the first one says it's the shocks themselves, and it could be a cup or so of fluid).

While the IPD kit is a first-rate alternative, and their support is legendary, if you can fix it you'll have suspension like a Rolls Royce. I don't care if I have to mow lawns, I'm going to keep my Nivomats (I have two 960's with it). It's not just the comfortable ride, it's the handling aspects I appreciate the most. No dipping or rolling in corners, and in a skid it handles like a Porsche 911. Been there. (There's a permanent crease in the driver's seat - from my butt grabbing for traction - to prove it.)

Last edited by EdZeppelin; 04-05-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:24 PM

I am not new to struggles with variable suspensions, having done or modded vehicles heavier or much heavier, or a lot more expensive than 960/V90s.

For a 14-16 year old car, the $ equation of cost of nivomat-replacement against total value of the car does not make too much sense. I am not knocking nivomats; I am knocking the application in this particular car.

I understand monoleaf, I accept IRS, but nivomat is a bit of a stretch. I don't have them, but I am thinking about my options -- my V90's load varies from 250 lbs payload to 1000 lbs.

I also understand that there will be people who will opt to replace them on a $ 1000-1500 worth car, but I would guess they are in minority.

I once had intelligent suspension on a $ 35k SUV. Made absolutely no sense either. Most owners would get rid of them like the plague once the warranty expired.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:46 AM

Since the topic came up, I've been paying more attention to the the effect the Nivomat has in our 960's, and I'm even more convinced of their importance. Especially when I'm tooling along at 70 mph with three big Goldens in the back, vying for optimal "window time" ("what's that, over there?" = x3). I estimate that every five seconds, about 400 lbs. of excited canines shift from one side of the car to the other, then back again. Nary the slightest wiggle or dip in the ride, though.

In an essay called "Wealth Versus Money" from the book "Does It Matter," Alan Watts wrote (I'm paraphrasing); "the difference between wealth and money is simple: you walk into a grocery store with money, you walk out with wealth."

To put it in perspective, the baseline, no-frills 960 wagon's MSRP invoice in 1996 was $35,260 (according to web2carz.com) Using the CPI index at measuringworth.com, that comes out to $48,000 in today's worth-less dollars.

While waiting for the salesman to finish the paperwork on our '92 960 in 1996, we had about an hour or so to thoroughly inspect the spanky-new '96 960's on the showroom floor. I've never forgotten it, so when the opportunity came up to snag exactly the same model a couple of months ago - for $1700 (conversely, $1200 in 1996 dollars), we jumped on it like a trampoline.

For that kind of money-vs.-wealth, I could easily justify maintaining the best suspension they ever put in a Volvo (or top-of-the-line Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Chrysler, Ford, General Motors, Jaguar, Kia, Mitsubishi, Saab and other OEMs. Nivomat is even available on the GM Suburban and Tahoe as part of "ZW7 Premium Smooth Ride Suspension"), especially since replacement shocks are available from Monroe, Sachs and a slew of OEMs.

Like I said, a grand to REPLACE the Nivomat is a worst-case scenario, especially since it's so likely that it's just a leak. It's entirely feasible to replace the shocks for a couple of hundred dollars, since they show up regularly on eBay, or from different manufacturers.

Sure, many people might scrimp on shocks to save some money, but others believe it's a small price to pay for the BEST. You're not going to know until you drive a car with Nivomat for awhile. Like five seconds, say.

Last edited by EdZeppelin; 04-07-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by EdZeppelin
To put it in perspective, the baseline, no-frills 960 wagon's MSRP invoice in 1996 was $35,260 (according to web2carz.com) Using the CPI index at measuringworth.com, that comes out to $48,000 in today's worth-less dollars.
I understand your premise, however, I disagree using CPI as a yardstick in this case. A new $35k car back then (1996) in equal tier, options, etc. is still a $ 35k new car today, not a $ 48k. I guess you could say that cars have gotten in fact cheaper.