Driver's Side Door Hinge

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 07:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Driver's Side Door Hinge

All,

I need to replace the lower hinge on my 960 wagon's driver's side front door (the hinge that controls the stops). The metal wire rod that provides the door stops cracked and broke off. Is it possible to replace this hinge while keeping the door on the car? Do I need to remove any of the interior trim pieces to get at any of the bolts? Will I have any major issues re-aligning the door? Other than the door stop the hinges are in great shape.

If I need to remove the door can I just pound out the hinge pin on each hinge or does each hinge need to be physically unbolted somehow? I have done this before on my Land Rovers but the Volvo's hinges are nicely painted and more difficult to see how they come apart.

Thanks.

Patrick

Old 11-07-2008, 08:14 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Driver's Side Door Hinge

Sorry but I have never done it before. You are the first one I have ever seen that actually wanted to replace it.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Driver's Side Door Hinge

I've done this several times, and it's pretty easy but you'll need a helper. The hinge has to come off completely. Thespring part is removable once the hinge is off. FYI, front and rear door, but NOT left to right, ARE interchangable. So, get a new hinge or just the spring, (junkyard is best bet, and get a rear left door one since it'd be in better shape). Remove the left front plastic kick panel-three bolts hold the hinge in place AND adjust it. Yes, the door will be out of adjustment when you are done, and that's where a helper helps. Take out the hinge gingerly, and support the door, it wont fall off but may scratch the body if not supported. The spring comes off with a slight hammer tap, and the new one goes in the same way. Or a different new hinge just bolts on. Then the adjustment fun begins. Also, there may be shims involved, so be careful not to strip the bolts, always a good caution but in this case I am speaking from a personal experience...