A few issues if you please

Old 03-25-2008, 12:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few issues if you please

Greetings..
I'm the new member.."Newbie"
I'm hoping your experts can help me. The heated mirrors, heated seats are not working, and sunroof does not work properly( an adjustment?) I've checked the fuses. OK. What is next to troubleshoot? Thanks Chris

Old 03-26-2008, 05:58 PM
Default RE: A few issues if you please

Which model do you have?

Old 03-27-2008, 10:17 AM

Sorry, some relative information would help wouldn't it?
It is a 1990 760 GLE.
seat warmer switch lights come on, but no heat.
the mirror motors work, not the heaters.
Re: the sunroof. I just bought the car, and the previous owner said that the sunroof did not work properly, and I'm afraid to even open it for fear it won't close. after all, it is Cananda we are talking about here! LOL!
thanks for you help!

Old 03-27-2008, 06:28 PM

Take the seat heater switches out and check that the wires are attached.4 wires on the driver's side: 2 x grey/yellow (power in); white/black (power out); black to earth (ground). 3 wires on passenger side, 1 x grey/yellow less. The white/black in both cases go to the thermostat for the relevant seat. This is under the seat. Using a voltmeter or test light check to see if you have power to the thermostat. Also attached to the thermostat is a red wire (power out to seat heater elements) and a black to earth. Check for power at the red. The red then goes to the seat cushion heater. Check where it goes into the seat cushion. For some reason known only to Volvo the link from the seat cushion to the backrest heater is black so you have two black wires coming from the cushion heater, one live one earth. If you have power to the thermostat but no further then there are two possibilities; 1. the thermostat is u/s or 2. the temperature is too high to allow the thermostat to pass on the power so these tests should be done on a relatively cold day. There is also a relay for the circuit which is under the centre console near the earth (ground) strap.

Does the rear window heater work? That switch operates the mirror heaters. If it is not working check fuse #13.

Who needs a sunroof in Canada at this time of year? Without a more precise description it is hard to say what this could be. I would leave it until you get one of your glorious summer days and try opening it then.

If it opens but won't close under power you can wind it in manually:

Emergency sun roof operation

If, because of an electrical fault (e.g. a blown fuse). it is not possible to operate the sun roof electrically, then it is possible to operate it manually. First, using a Phillips-head screwdriver, remove the two screws that secure the sun roof motor cover to the headliner Then using a screwdriver, depress the white plastic clutch pin in the center of the motor screw (see illustration) and turn the screw to close or open the roof as desired.
No current to the sun roof motor
The overload protector (no. 34 in the fuse box) has engaged. Wait approximately 20 seconds for the overload protector to cool down. Check fuse number 14.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:43 AM

BiLL!
thank you so much for your information. I will try all your troubleshooting ideas and let you know what the results are.
You are right about the Sunroof...not exactly the right time to have 'er open!
Are you in Durham Carolina? I'm in Durham Ontario!
Cheers!
Chris

Old 04-01-2008, 08:17 AM

Chris,

Happy to help.

I am from the original Durham, England. This is a view of our world famous Castle and Cathedral at night.

Bill.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4491/2C751DEC82944230B4D22722471F835B.jpg[/IMG]