Hard to start when warm.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 06:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard to start when warm.

I know this post is old but did you get to the bottom of your problem? I have a 1995 960 engine in my 1007 V90 and it is starting hard after warm-up. Starts excellent when cold but if you drive it any distance and let it sit about 5 minutes it starts HARD and sometimes takes several tries.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

Old 11-28-2012, 08:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SonsofThunder
I know this post is old but did you get to the bottom of your problem? I have a 1995 960 engine in my 1007 V90 and it is starting hard after warm-up. Starts excellent when cold but if you drive it any distance and let it sit about 5 minutes it starts HARD and sometimes takes several tries.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
What is your fuel pressure? You should be more specific than "fuel pressure is good because gas shot out from the hose". Spec is 43.5 psi.

Have you scanned for DTCs?

What is the status of Stage 0?

Here is the run-down per Volvo's manual:

NO START - WARM ENGINE
* Ensure fuel pressure is correct.
* Check for gasoline in oil.
* Ensure fuel injectors are not leaking.
* Check ignition and sensor wires for proper connection.
* Ensure spark plugs are not fouled.
* Check ignition and coil circuit.
* Check engine speed sensor or Hall Effect sensor (turbo).
* Check throttle switch and connector.
* Check idle valve. Ensure airflow arrow points in correct
direction.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Henry10
What is your fuel pressure? You should be more specific than "fuel pressure is good because gas shot out from the hose". Spec is 43.5 psi.

Have you scanned for DTCs?

What is the status of Stage 0?

Here is the run-down per Volvo's manual:

NO START - WARM ENGINE
* Ensure fuel pressure is correct.
* Check for gasoline in oil.
* Ensure fuel injectors are not leaking.
* Check ignition and sensor wires for proper connection.
* Ensure spark plugs are not fouled.
* Check ignition and coil circuit.
* Check engine speed sensor or Hall Effect sensor (turbo).
* Check throttle switch and connector.
* Check idle valve. Ensure airflow arrow points in correct
direction.
thanks! Sorry dixlexic. It's a 1997 V90. I think I will start with spark plugs-easiest. It actually runs like an old car berated car "loade up" when started warm. I have no trouble codes which baffles me?
Thanks again!

Old 11-29-2012, 07:21 PM

Since you are pulling out the sparkplugs, I would check electrical connectors at coils -- they are notorious for disintegrating. I would also take a magnifying glass and check coils for cracks.

Has the car been hit at the bottom of the motor?

Old 11-30-2012, 05:59 AM

Thanks Henry10! Great advice - I will check the coils and wiring - easy enought to access!
The engine has never been hit that I know of? I got the used engine from a guy on eBay but he showed me videos of the donor car and very detailed videos of the engine running. It has 140k on it and it all looks origional stuff. I did a timing belt/water pump during the swap.
Thanks again.
Your V90 looks AWESOME! very nice.....................

Old 12-01-2012, 05:49 AM

I believe V90 is the best car Volvo has made. It is the last RWD car, and Volvo perfected the RWD after decades. It has a Porsche-engineered engine -- you feel it. It has a bulletproof Aisin-Warner transmission. Aisin-Warner combined American technology (Warner) with Japanese quality. V90 has also a very unique feature for family cars -- a transversal fiberglass leaf in the rear, in lieu of coil springs. Corvettes have it. It has a lifespan of 25-30 years. It provides greater handling and stability. Other 960s have the Nivomats which are a great feature IMO.

Computers were run by the most advanced systems at the time, Bosch Motronic. Built in the 90s, 960/V90 have one of the first side-airbags. The list goes on.

V90 was built to compete with Benz wagons. They had to compensate lack of image with quality. In the end, it became economically not feasible to produce them any more, hence the mass-market FWD.

To me V90 works well -- my biggest issue is city wear-and-tear. Cars get damaged a lot even when parked. The other day I saw a pizza delivery guy bang his bicycle on my quarter panel. I couldn't believe it. Left another scar. I use it mostly as a highway cruiser, and weekend therapy tool. I would be very happy to daily-drive it if I had too.

Although not befitting a V90, at the ridiculous cheap prices you can buy them these cars are disposable. They are a great value.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:10 AM

Wow! I never knew all that about V90s? I like it - like you said the last of the RWDs. I was at the local dealer getting parts and they were reasonable on price but an older Salesman approached me and thought he recognized the car and I had the origional owners manual and sure enough he sold the car to the 1st owners. Unfortunately the 2nd owners did not take care of it. I am getting it straightened out, the spark plugs cured it! Cant believe how bad they were, had to be origional (140k) - volvo brand.
It bothers me when people neglect cars, it is not hard to take care of them, and way cheaper in the long run!
Have you ever tried to "beef up" the rear suspension? My rear shocks are origional (240k) and sagging bad. I want to get the ride height up above stock I have a huge "curb" in my dirveway that I botttom out on and it would give it a bit more of an XC look but I dont want to go overboard or obnoxious!
Well, todays plan is to repaint the fron bumper cover. The only body issues, someone had repainted it once and it is all flaking off.
Hopefully have time to buff her out and wax too....................

Old 12-01-2012, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by SonsofThunder
Have you ever tried to "beef up" the rear suspension? My rear shocks are origional (240k) and sagging bad. I want to get the ride height up above stock I have a huge "curb" in my dirveway that I botttom out on and it would give it a bit more of an XC look but I dont want to go overboard or obnoxious!
Moderator might break this out into a new thread. Why don't you start a new one -- post what kind of rear you have (Nivomat or not, etc)

Old 12-01-2012, 05:30 PM

I will start a new thread. Thanks as you can see I am new at this.