Loud Squealing Sound From Fan Belt Area

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 11:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud Squealing Sound From Fan Belt Area

Yesterday I found my battery dead because I somehow switched my parking lights on without knowing it. They were on for over 24 hours.

My problem is that after a jump start got the car running again (done the proper way) I am now hearing a loud squealing noise that seems to be coming from the fan belt or that area.

This basically was not an issue before (occasionally some noise for a short period), and the belt was just changed by a Volvo mechanic about 8 months ago before I moved from Georgia.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what is causing the noise or what I can do to get rid of it?

Old 07-01-2014, 08:55 PM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

Belt or bearing. Need to investigate further: spray something on the belt first, see what happens...

Old 07-02-2014, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by lev
Belt or bearing. Need to investigate further: spray something on the belt first, see what happens...
Thanks for your suggestion. I considered trying some sort of belt spray, but I've never used anything like that and didn't know if it might do more harm than good.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:05 AM
lev

You can even spray water on the belt... The sound will change momentarily when any liquid hits it... But belt spray is totally safe too...

Old 07-06-2014, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by lev
You can even spray water on the belt... The sound will change momentarily when any liquid hits it... But belt spray is totally safe too...
I used the belt conditioner spray yesterday and the noise went completely away for about 30 seconds, then it came back. I sprayed some more of the chemical which only seemed to make the squealing noise even louder and also seemed to cause a rattling sound which I didn't hear before using the spray.

Lately when I start the engine I hear the squealing noise and it continues while driving, but after a couple of miles usually gets a bit quieter. After a while it even seems to go away when the engine is idling at a traffic light or stop sign or, when I'm not pressing on the accelerator. Haven't heard any more of the rattling.

However the noise always comes back on each new engine start and stays loud for the first few miles of driving.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:59 AM
lev

So if you sprayed the belt and the noise changed/disappeared, then obviously the belt itself is the problem.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by lev
So if you sprayed the belt and the noise changed/disappeared, then obviously the belt itself is the problem.
After spraying the noise disappeared for only a short while, then it got louder.

The belt slipped off (didn't break) the car yesterday afternoon while I was driving to the store. I took it home and parked it in the driveway. There has to be a reason for it to begin making noise and then come off. I'll check for loose pulleys, bad bearings, etc. later today or tomorrow morning.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:18 AM

Maybe because your battery is down a bit the alternator is trying to deliver more than usual and the belt needs more tension.Be aware also that the bearing in the idler wheel does not last forever.