M46 transmission into 89 volvo wagon

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 09:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M46 transmission into 89 volvo wagon

Since my original M47 transmission in my 1989 volvo wagon died this summer, I have been struggling to get the M46 transmission from my 1981 volvo into the '89. I finally got a mechanic to do this (after five weeks of waiting on a different mechanic) but then the one who did the work did not hook up the overdrive.

I have been told that hooking up the electrical part of the overdrive shouldn't be any big deal. So after alot of frustration with mechanics, thought I would investigate and try this suggestion - that there is a blue relay behind the glove box, remove it, the accompaning wires, etc. and just install it in the 89. That was great except I didn't see anything blue behind the glove box and am lost.

I definitely need some more clear directions, coaching, and/or guidance as to whether this is something I could do on my own (I once replaced a heater motor in a 1973-145). The intended mechanic doesn't seem to want to do anything unless I come up with some clear diagrams...

I might be shopping for yet a new mechanic anyway. However, it seems a bit difficult, so far, to find someone who is willing to take on this job (besides me) who is local (central Oklahoma).

That is my dilemma... any ideas - or details on what kind of job this is?

Any assistance is very much appreciated!

Teresa

Old 09-06-2005, 10:12 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: M46 transmission into 89 volvo wagon

I have not do it before.But the best way to try to find out is to get in there and go for it.

Follow the wires from the shifter assembly.They should go under the carpet and head towards the passenger side of the dash under the radio.The try to follow up to the relay.Then you might be able to figure it out.

I have messed with the wiring before because it was broke and I had to repair it.

I think that would be the best way to do it.Then you can probably install it your self then go rub it in the tech's face that you fixed it your self.

Old 09-07-2005, 01:21 AM

Hey tech fellow!

Ah, this seems like a good suggestion -- to go from where the transmission was... Why didn't I think of that? What I did see was a big box apparatus (by Bosch) attached very securely to the right side of the glove box - like next to the frame- underneath the plastic trim. Not sure now what that was, but that kinda subverted my plan.

What already took some time was to find out why after getting my 89 back (without the overdrive) why my power windows kept blowing the fuse. The mechanic mentioned that he didn't hook up the backup lights... After digging around and some trial and error, pulled the wires out from below the transmission boot to see that the ends were not at all taped off or otherwise protected... so was shorting out the fuse that also controls the power windows.

Yes, should I be able to accomplish this mission, I definitely am going to let people know!

Thanks for the tips and encouragment! Will keep you posted!

;o)

Old 10-06-2005, 11:46 PM

Howdy! I am back.

After some looking and investigation and dragging the older (81) car back home I just wasn't seeing so much simplicity in the situation. I felt fortunate to get a second opinion. Brook looked at it and concurred that the overdrive on the old car is a lot more complicated than what was described to me from another source also.

The box that I saw that seem to have been responsible for the overdrive operating correctly was, in Brook's words, an "ECM" made by Bosch with the numer 0 280000 503 on it. There are a ton of wires that then go through the firewall, and another small bunch that goes off to the instrument panel.

I have added two pictures here - I don't know how illustrative they are but you will see the ECM attached to the right wall of the body underneath the glove box.

I am not so hopeful at this point and am trying to figure out some alternatives since I can't really sell the 1989 into which the M46 tranny went without an overdrive since it won't go over 40 mph. I have tried to think if I should look for a different transmission but then... eeek!

Is there a different kind of wiring that perhaps went on another model that will work? Any ideas or suggestions would be most appreciated!

Thanks!

Teresa

[IMG]local://upfiles/2988/F07385E881DC4C30AC0F1602FF95A9DD.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/2988/F0C9C7B746D248F6BC8792D8F4129EB9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-07-2005, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Are you sure the wires from the trans go into the ECM?

As far as I know They go to a switch on the trans that tell when it is in 4th gear.Then there is the soleniod to put it into overdrive.
Then the wiring for the switch and the light on the dash. The light might be the confusing part of the project.

I will try to look at a wiring Diagram opn monday and see what it looks like.

Old 10-08-2005, 05:49 PM

Great clue! Thanks! No, I wasn't sure since I don't really know what I am doing. But I did go investigate further to find that perhaps the 'helpful' mechanics were not so careful in their work.

I haven't been seeing the blue relay that Matt at IPD (ipdusa.com) suggested would be in back of the glove box. As mentioned before, I didn't see the wires under the floor. But check out the pictures from today's investigation: a bundle of wires that was cut, and I found the wire that apparently was for the backup lights (which caused a problem with the windows working on the '89 since the mechanic didn't bother to tape off the exposed ends). Then there is the picture of the gear shift lever that was from the '81 but didn't get installed when that transmission was installed on the '89. The blue and brown wires from it match two of the wires in the cut bundle of wires. And, it seems as though these wires don't go to the ECM as you suggested.

I did just send an email to Dave Barton (http://www.bartonharness.com/volvoharnesses.html) to see if he also scavanges this bunch of wires since I happened to find him on the web and he sells wiring harnesses for the '80s models who need new, or good used sets.

So that is the update. Let me know what you think, if you have the chance! Thanks so much for your encouragement!

Teresa

[IMG]local://upfiles/2988/2ED0AF642F984F4CAB2ABA47C7AB789B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/2988/E7CB61E8F54E4BC985ABDFC01BC13646.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/2988/DB6214CED0B14E7793722E2EDD8A289E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-11-2005, 01:54 AM

Greetings! I think there may be light up ahead!

I did get a message from Dave Barton (http://personal.linkline.com/dbarton/ who directed me to the right parts and also has the relay needed for the overdrive:

Hi Teresa,
As far as I know the OD harnesses are still available from Volvo, but none of my suppliers carry them. I found a reference to the manual trans OD harness, part number 9122565-6, which lists at about $16.00 (so it must not be much of a harness). It is possible this will not complete the setup and you may need additional parts (I don't have any diagrams to look at).

If you need the blue OD relay, I do have one in stock.... $35 plus shipping.
Dave

So, if there is the chance that you have the wiring diagram that would be helpful. The other alternative is to get one from http://www.volvotechinfo.com -- I looked at that site but couldn't decide which one would have what I needed.

Thanks so much for your help!

Teresa

Old 10-11-2005, 08:41 PM
Administrator

I will try to get one tomorrow.

Old 10-13-2005, 07:00 PM

Thank you... I will be getting the wiring and parts today or tomorrow. I appreciate the help!

Teresa

Old 10-13-2005, 09:55 PM
Administrator

Im sorry I have been trying I can't print off the computer at work and been trying to get something together.

Old 10-13-2005, 10:50 PM

Thanks for letting me know... I can be patient and appreciate your efforts... If it is too much I can look at the stuff for sale at http://www.volvotechinfo.com and ask some more questions there. Just let me know.

have a good one!

;o)

Old 10-13-2005, 11:15 PM
Administrator

I will try to get it all figured out tomorrow.
I may be able to find an old Volvo Repair manual and get info from there.

I will let you know tomorrow night.

Old 10-14-2005, 08:41 PM
Administrator

Here is a pic I hope you can see it good.I had to take a pic with my digital cam.

Hope it helps.

[IMG]local://upfiles/853/0178E97FDEAC470E9D435FBAF3734CDB.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/853/0D1118023C934739B0B831A6EF3A973E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-17-2005, 01:13 PM

Very cool! I will give it a try as soon as I get the parts and let you know the results!

Thanks so much!!

Old 10-31-2005, 12:50 AM

Greetings!

Thank you again so much for the drawings... I just could not have done this job without them! I got the parts last week and together with the drawings and some good weather I have started in.

I have the job about two-thirds done: the wires are connected to the relay, run under the carpet, hooked to the fuse. I just about have the wires hooked up to the solenoid and ground underneath the car. But then, there is the red one that is supposed to go to the switch on the transmission ("E" on the photo you sent).

The problem is that I have searched on the transmission itself and in both my Haynes and Chilton manuals and do not see where this switch would be, or maybe I don't know what I am looking for. I see some kind of thing (see picture) but it is on the overdrive unit and while I don't think it pertains to what I am doing, I don't know what it is. I am thinking it doesn't have much to do with what I am doing because I did find a wiring harness of the yellow and red wires (in rough shape) that look like they might have been the pair for this application. If I see where the yellow one attaches to the solenoid and stretch the red one toward the front of the car, it reaches over to where the transmission is... but I still do not see the switch on the transmission...

Okay, this may not be a question you can answer, but I thought I would ask. If you have a clue though, please let me know. Meanwhile, I will be getting more black grease on my underneath the car.

I might add that I am pretty excited that I am close to getting this done! The car is a mess right now, but it getting back to being healthy again.

Thanks so much again for all your help!

Teresa

[IMG]local://upfiles/2988/FA047979A1984D7EBC0DF0094AB73328.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-31-2005, 01:59 AM
Administrator

The picture looks like where the speedo cable goes.

I was looking in my book and the wiring diagram.The red wire should go to the switch that will shut off the overdrive if it is pulled out of 4th gear. The only thing I can see in my book is that there is possibly one on the top Straight above where the speedo cable attaches. It looks like a single wire sensor.

I will try to remember tomorrow to see if we have a tranny at work to look at it and see if I can see anything.

Old 10-31-2005, 11:58 PM
Administrator

UPDATE: I was working on one today and looked it over. The red wire should go to a single wire sensor located on the right side top of the trans. If the wire isn't attached to the sensor it is hard to see. That wire is needed for the circuit to complete.

The sensor is directly accross from the 2 wire sensor on the drivers side top. Close to the bellhousing. Not in the rear of the trans.

Old 11-01-2005, 12:19 AM

Cool! I will look at it as soon as I can get enough daylight to check it out... I appreciate the clues!

;o)

Old 11-02-2005, 10:40 PM

Dear Tech fellow!

GOOD NEWS!!

I stayed home today and finished the job... took it for a test drive... got it to 40 mph, pushed the button, and voila!!! The overdrive is working splendidly! Yeah!

I did have to make several journeys to the parts store; I found what must have been the red and yellow wire pair and used the end on the red one to put onto the sensor on the transmission. (That sensor bad boy was pretty hard to see! You were right!!) That pair also told me to get a heavier gauge wire than what I had... another trip to the parts store, and I don't know how many trips to underneath the car, which I managed to get "jacked up" by ramping it onto the curb... But the day here in Oklahoma was warm for November so was excellent for managing this last run on getting this done before the cold comes in for winter.

I am so happy and so grateful to you for your wonderful help. I would have never been able to do this without your kind assistance. Nor would I have found that last switch or had a chance at fixing the car without the drawings, tips, and EVERYTHING!

The inside of the car is a mess (I will stay home tomorrow to do that housekeeping) --- but the mission is accomplished --- THANK YOU EVER SO MUCH! Wow!

All the best!

Teresa

Old 11-03-2005, 01:01 AM
Administrator

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!

IM glad you got it done. Im also glad I could help!!