Volvo 960 PNP gear selector switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 02:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo 960 PNP gear selector switch

Hi All
Have had the standard trouble flashing from wintermode to economy and learnt on this forum it is the PNP switch . Purchased a Scan Tech replacement switch and changed it with no need to remove exhaust or Transmission lines but a bit fidly hardest part getting it off the shaft. Installed new switch, lined up with the line on switch and with reverse lights and started in park and neutral and all was ok .Sadly the switch started to do the same things 3 months later. Moving slowly through the gears about 8 times with ignition on would reset it .
On removing the old switch I had pulled it apart which was easy ,6 screws. Cleaned up all the brass contacts particularly the three little castle shaped ones with emery paper then regreased it with Di-electric grease and put it in stock.
Have now removed theScan Tech switch and replaced it with the original Volvo one we cleaned up and regreased which now works perfectly and the Volvo one is so much better quality not made in PROC. Then pulled Scan Tech one apart and it was packed with the wrong grease(light bearing grease) not di-electric so contacts were dirty .Have cleaned that one up as well and put correct grease in and maybe it will be ok but in stock now.
The lesson is you can repair the old switch by cleaning contacts and new di-electric grease use plenty and make sure the square O ring seals properly with a bit of selastic and the castle contacts sit neatly on their little springs .Have heard of repair kits with new castle contacts and springs and maybe needed if your switch is really corroded soyou could use this or just get new volvo switch if you dont want to bother
Nigel

Old 03-05-2012, 08:07 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Cool and thanks.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:11 AM

Glad you found that useful. Definitely dont bother with Scan Tech non genuine replacements of course the perfect solution is to put in new volvo switch

Old 03-30-2012, 06:49 AM
Default Volvo 960 PNP

The old original switch that I repaired has now been installed over a month and there have been no problems with it .At one point the lights flashed form W to E on gear selector but the car still drove perfectlly and we ignored it and it went away . Still have the Scan Tech one in stock definitely dont recommend them I wasted my money . Hope other members find this helpful. Also talked to a Volvo mechanic who says he regularly repairs these original switches just plenty of dielectric grease and make sure you seal switch after and rarely finds one so corroded it cant be repaired but i do live in South Australia with a California Climate .

Old 05-09-2012, 05:02 AM
Default 960 Gear selector PNP switch

Sadly my repair of the original PNP switch has lasted only a couple of months and the W/E mode lights are flashing and goes to winter mode.
Solution bought new Volvo PNP switch installed it but sadly it still plays up sometimes working perfectly, sometimes W/E flash and only 3rd gear works and sometimes the W/E lights flash and all works properly. My wife only wants to use E mode.
So I would love HELP. I dont want to get rid of car as it is beautiful.
Now ask myself it may never have been the switch in the first place or do I need to go to a Volvo dealer for them to reset things with their computer? Or is it another problem, even thought of switch next to gear stick where lights flash
Would greatly appreciate and ideas from those with experience .
Regards Nigel

Old 07-29-2012, 12:10 AM
Default Volvo 960 Transmission problem

Well finally solved the problem of the gear shift flashing lights E/w/s and going into limp home mode ( that is only driving in 4th gear). Took car to my local Povey Volvo and they plugged it in and it had 5 fault codes they cleared all these and told me to come back as soon as the lights on transmission started flashing again. Drove the car and went beautifully but within a couple of days problem returned and generally when the car is warm sometimes the gears did not change as smoothly as they should.When car went into limp home mode again I went back to Povey Volvo and it was driving fine again but they plugged in and the only codes that came up were for the solenoids in the gearbox They are called S1 and S2. Have had those changed at my Auto trans place and the car is perfect and changes gears so smoothly although cost $450 car is better than ever. Auto trans place said always change both .Lesson to be learnt always have fault codes checked before jumping in and changing things. Luckily my Volvo shop accpeted my good second hand PNP switch as payment for the diagnosis.They are easy to clean up contacts and regrease they said they will keep it as a change over switch.

Last edited by Nigel Adelaide; 07-29-2012 at 12:15 AM.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris at Poveys is a great guy......he helped me sort out my trip computer, and has done all the major work on both our volvo's.

Where in Adelaide are you?

Old 07-30-2012, 04:44 AM
Default Volvo 960 transmission

We live in Stonyfell but go to a very good Mechanic John Devitt in Jennifer street Ridgehaven and he sent us to Chris who quickly solved the problem bu the did have the correct equipment. He certainly knew what was up but must admit John suspected a valve sticking in trans and chris confrimed then Plaza automatics did the job. I knew Dave Povey the big guy years ago but think he retired.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool, I'm in Surrey Downs (right near ridgehaven) my normal mechanic is in Yatala Vale, but Poveys get all the tricky stuff.

Most small stuff I do myself.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:36 AM

Yes Chris worked it out . Have just changed the LH ball joint and got new pair from Taiwan for $30 including postage for both and seem good quality but time will tell

Old 10-12-2013, 07:16 PM

Hey, I hoping to jump in on this a little late. I'm experiencing similar issues and would like to try replacing the pnp switch. Is there a thread that goes through that process for a 1995 960 or do you know which haynes manual is relevant given that they didn't make one for this machine.