Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

16T with MBC

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 04:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 16T with MBC

So I'm getting ready to put a 16T on muh car. just wondering how high I can boost with an MBC. Also, how high could I boost with an ecu upgrade? And finally, whats the most efficient way to upgrade the ecu? (sorry, Im new to the turbo stuff)

Old 03-11-2010, 06:24 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

1. Have you done STAGE ZERO?

"Full stage 0 list:
-Plugs
-cap/rotor
-oil/transflush
-filter (oil)
-hoses (the little vac lines, Get Silicone versions)
-samco hose kit or Stylin Motors Inc. (Turbo Models ONLY)
-02 sensors
-fuel pumps
-clean injectors
-clean IC/IC plumbing (Turbo Models ONLY)
-Air filter
-plug wires"

****If you haven't done any of this then DO IT BEFORE YOU UPGRADE YOUR TURBO, PUT A MBC ON OR GET AN ECU UPGRADE.****

2. Included in the STAGE ZERO list but not listed above should be a boost gauge. One that can read 25 In Hg / 25 PSI. Have this installed with all your other STAGE ZERO items. Before you put the new turbo on, before you put the MBC on and before you do an ECU upgrade if you do an ECU upgrade.

3. A 16T can hold 15PSI all day long and 17PSI is about the max you should run on it. 15PSI is the safe max PSI you'd want to run. Just an FYI a 16T isn't much bigger then a
15g. This is the PSI you'd want to run with a MBC or an ECU upgrade.

4. MBC while many use them and they have gret success with them, they are not the best way to raise your boost. It is a cheap alternative to an ECU upgrade. However an ECU upgrade is the better choice. IPD USA, RICA are the two best tuners on the market. Most researched and developed running from about $650 on up. Inmotion, SpeedTuning USA & Upsloute are three other tuners on the market for us, but they are less researched and developed and people usually run RICH not a good thing. Price wise they run from about $200-$425. Inmotion may not be in business anymore and SpeedTuning USA has the worst customer service around. I have experienced it many times myself and if I had saved the money instead of going in on a groupbuy for a SpeedTuning USA ECU upgrade I would have gone with IPD USA or RICA.

5. The most efficent way for you is to send it out to the tuner. You'll be without your car for a day or two though. You remove your ECU and overnight it to the tuner and then have them overnight it back to you.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by S70driver
if I had saved the money instead of going in on a groupbuy for a SpeedTuning USA ECU upgrade I would have gone with IPD USA or RICA.

What is a groupbuy? also, i have done like a pretty major tune up recently but nothing with any hoses. my pcv system could stand a cleaning and I plan to replace it soon but i'm wondering if I can get away without the pcv and hoses right away? I don't plan to put it off long at all it's just my current turbo is blowing a bit of smoke and the cops have pulled me over for it once already.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:37 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by garlendrix
What is a groupbuy? also, i have done like a pretty major tune up recently but nothing with any hoses. my pcv system could stand a cleaning and I plan to replace it soon but i'm wondering if I can get away without the pcv and hoses right away? I don't plan to put it off long at all it's just my current turbo is blowing a bit of smoke and the cops have pulled me over for it once already.
A groupbuy is when a group of people buy into a product for a lower price. Well usually a lower price and the more people you get to go in on it the price comes down even more. These are setup by people on forums with companies. No I don't know of any going on right now.

Just pay full price and be on your way with your tune.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:12 AM

Do your pcv it's not worth waiting

Old 03-16-2010, 12:51 AM

skip the trans flush...just drain and refill, no sense in stirring up any trash into the system.