Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

1994 volvo 850 eats oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 03:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 volvo 850 eats oil

About 2 quarts over about 1000-1500 miles or so. Right around 200,000 on the car (odo reads around 200,000, title says 230,000 so i figure somewhere between those two numbers). Did some research, read about the common crankcase ventilation system clog. While the engine was running, I pulled out the dipstick, and vapor is forced out from the dipstick hole. on top of this, a small amount of oil seeps out around the oil filler cap. this points to too much crank case pressure, which points to the clogged crankcase ventilation system. i pulled the hose that runs between the filter box and the throttle body and looked down inside. there's a thick oil residue in there. i did more digging and this can also be caused by the clog that forms. everything leads me to believe that buying the kit to replace all the different pieces/tubing for the crankcase ventilation system would fix this problem, but i'm looking for everyone else's opinion on what could also be the cause. before its asked, no, i haven't done a leak down/compression test of the cylinders yet. i'll investigate that if changing the different parts of crankcase ventilation system doesn't fix whats going on (i'll do it sooner if someone has a good reason on why i should).

Old 05-04-2013, 04:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your front seals are probably blown due to pressure. oil sipping out from the oil filler cap, your filler cap seal is gone. remove it and feel the seal, if its hardened it needs replacing, do you see blue smoke from the exhaust with the car running? if it is your valve stem seals needs replacing. getting a new kit wont stop the leak because your seals might have been blown due to the pressure but will prevent future problems when you change your blown seals.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:11 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I used to always recommend replacing the PCV black box because I thought it was baffled in a way that would make it too restrictive to be cleaned and that the box itself could get plugged. It does have a baffle but not much of one.

Well now I've seen one cut open I believe it's cleanable and it's very unlikely the box itself would plug. The rubber lines definitely can break down on the inside from the heat and vapors and you don't see it so do all the vacuum lines for sure. If you're in there doing the PCV vacuum lines it's a good time to replace all the vacuum lines as the stuff is only about a buck a foot and then you're saved from it causing a future problem.

You want to make sure the passages the black box uses for separation and drainage are open. The passages being blocked is more of a problem and cause of the crankcase pressure and blowing smoke out the dipstick.

Attached Thumbnails 1994 volvo 850 eats oil-pcv-cutaway.jpg   1994 volvo 850 eats oil-pcv-box-plugged-port.jpg   1994 volvo 850 eats oil-pcv-oil-pan-passage-blocked1.jpg   1994 volvo 850 eats oil-pcv-view-box.jpg