Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

1995 850 Turbo Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 01:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 850 Turbo Transmission Problem

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum. I just bought a used '95 850 turbo with 105K miles. This is my first Volvo I have had it for only a few days. I think I am having transmission problems. Sometimes when I press on the gas, I hear the engine rev but nothing engages. I checked the transmission fluid. The level looks good and the fluid is clear. Does it sound like I need a new tranny? Please say it isn't so...

Old 12-18-2007, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 1995 850 Turbo Transmission Problem

It isn't so. OK I said it. Now, it probably is the transmission. Good news is used ones are not terribly expensive. Bad news is that installation probably will be unless you are a major do it yourselfer. There are a bunch of transmissions on ebay right now. Also check at local auto wrecker. Good luck.

Old 12-18-2007, 04:40 PM

I know this is completely obvious, but make sure it didn't slip into neutral

Old 12-18-2007, 06:39 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: jks2

It isn't so. OK I said it.

Did you check the tranny fluid properly? Ignore this if you do know, that the tranny fluid has to be checked when the engine is at normal operating temp, drive the car for 10-15 minutes or so, park and go through all shifting points (P-R-N-D-3-L-3-D-N-R-P), then you check the fluid level.

Make sure that the shifter wasn't in Winter Mode or the arrow on the dash wasn't flashing. Since the fluid colour was good, and I suppose the fluid level is fine, the next thing you can do is to visit a local AutoZone and have your tranny ECU checked for trouble codes. Or, you can do this by yourself via OBD-I.

http://volvospeed.com/Repair/a1.html

Should you decide to take the AZ route, make sure to tell them that your car DOES have OBD-II port. If you don't tell them this, they'll automatically say "We can't test cars made before 1996", but 850 has it from '94 and up. Then let them show you the scanner readout.

Good luck,

JPN

Old 12-19-2007, 10:09 AM

First I want to say I feel your pain. I am going thru the same thing right now.

Second I would say unless you got the car for a STEAL, I would try to take it back, because it was obviously sold in that condition. I'm not sure if there are laws in your state about misrepresenting a used car but if there are you might have a case. If you can do neither and are stuck with the car, keep reading…

Third, read this, from here:

1995 850 GLT, 140,000 miles, automatic

About 3 years ago, after driving a road trip of about 2000 miles, when I pulled into my destination I noticed a weird transmission problem. As I was parking, I hit the gas and the engine revved up but the car didn't move at all. I let up on the gas, reapplied the brakes, went to park, then drive, and it worked fine.

Over the next 3 years, that scenario has happened about 5-10 times. Another issue I was having was that when starting the car, then placing it into reverse, a loud "CLUNK" would be felt as it moved into reverse. So much so that I was trying to avoid parking where I had to reverse, as it scared me. I took it to Aamco, the transmission chain, they did a check and couldn't duplicate the problems. Edit: This very rarely happens, even now.

Fast forward 2.5 years. In the last say 6 months, it seems the problem might be escalating. After driving on the highway, when I let up on the gas, coast, down an off-ramp, and then reapply the gas the engine revs but I don't feel a pull. I let up off the gas and let it drop to idle, then re-apply, and then it grabs. That's happened maybe 4-5 times.

Now very recently, within the past 3 months, while driving at a slower speed in the city, say 30 - 40 mph, and then coasting and stopping at a light, when I go to reapply the gas the same thing happens. Revvs up to ~2000 rpm, I let up, then reapply gas and off we go. That has happened maybe 4 times over the last three months of daily driving.
What I’ve done about it:

1) Whenever I go between Drive-Reverse or Reverse-Drive, I come to a complete stop, hold the brakes, put the car in neutral and let it settle in for a few seconds, and then shift to the other gear. This has eliminated the “clucking” of the transmission. Also, I park to minimize my need to reverse (ie pull thru parking spaces, etc.). I feel any unnecessary strain on the transmission is positive.

2) I’ve had a bottle of Lucas Transmission Fix in the car for a month or so. What I have noticed is a much, much, much smoother shifting thru the gears. The car did slip once over the month, it was about a week after I added the fluid. Since then (thank you!!) it hasn’t, I hope I don’t jinx it!

3) I haven’t flushed the transmission fluid yet. I would have liked to but just don’t have the place to do it. After the holidays I plan on driving somewhere that will allow me to at pull the plug off of it ad drain what’s in the pan, I think a flush might be too much and have heard that sometimes that will damage the transmission as gunk gets knocked off. The fluid is almost completely black and smells very burnt so I do plan to do it in stages.

Only time will tell about my transmission. What I do know is this problem has existed for at least 2 years now and my car is still going. I would personally grab a bottle of Lucas Transmission Fluid Fix ASAP and then see where it goes from there.

Edit:
You can get Lucas's Transmission Fix from about any auto parts store such as Advanced Auto, Napa, etc.

Here it what it looks like: