Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

1996 850 power steering leak (and some other problems)

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 12:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 850 power steering leak (and some other problems)

Hello, I'm a new member. I am encountering several problems with my slightly high-mileage 850SE (b5252s). First, a power steering leak (probably from the power steering pipe). I haven't got much to replace it with a new one, but can I send it over to a mechanic to get it patched with something, or will that cause some damage to the car's steering? Secondly, the alignment of the tires seem to be a bit off although I've got it realigned around last week. Also my suspension is a bit collapsed, possibly due to the shock absorbers, so did that affected the tire alignment? Finally, my 850 cannot actually be left unused for more than 1-2 days, or else the car will die. I thought this was a battery issue but it seems that some hard hammering at the starter makes the car start again, so I suppose this could be a starter issue, or should I check something else than just the starter? So those are my list of problems, hope some of you can help me out a bit.

Old 04-01-2016, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

when you say the alignment is a bit off, is that after the alignment? You may want to go back to the shop and have them measure up again and give you a print out. (I've had a similar experience where I had to get the alignment redone twice!). Another consideration is worn strut or suspension components - if the tech failed to notice worn tie rods or suspension or strut bushings then the set up can measure true on the rack but change as soon as you drive away. Regarding the starter, read the sticky on the board about checking for battery drain problems (ie pull fuses/measure current). If your battery is 5+ years old, it may be on its way out too. Finally check/clean all cable terminals - battery, starter, ground strap. Its possible the starter is at fault but work on battery/connections first.

Old 04-01-2016, 05:01 PM

Yes, it turned back to "normal" even after I realigned it. Also, the strut issues make the car lean leftwards, and added with the alignment problem, it makes the car look as if it's been sideswiped. The left front wheel is actually leaning outwards, where as the opposite wheel is leaning inwards, although this tends to disappear if you straighten the steering wheel. Anyway, my battery is actually only half-a-year old, but it seems to lose charge all the time when I leave the car lying for a day or two, so I assume it is actually the starter that's faulty. Other than that, can you actually come up with a "patch" to seal the power steering fluid leak without damaging anything?

Old 04-01-2016, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

a slow battery drain over a day or two means something is staying powered - things like vanity light/glove box light/power antenna are typical causes. What would make you suspect the starter motor? That's why you need to pull each fuse out to see which circuits are drawing current with the car off. As to patching the power steering leak, there are products on the market designed to fix or slow the leaks out of a seal say at the end of the hose - just search on Amazon or google "power steering sealant". Not saying its going to work without knowing what your true problem is ie torn up hose? not likely. leaky seal at a coupling? possibly...

Old 04-02-2016, 01:46 AM

Actually, my glove box light is jammed on, since the glove box cover cannot really shut properly (this is due to the entire dashboard being slightly messed up since it was exposed to the sun nearly all of the time before I bought the car). I never expected it to drain the battery a lot. Though about the starter, it was my mechanic who told me that it needs replacement and is faulty, although I had doubts the first time he said that since he didn't really checked anything out, except the fuse box. Though he did actually checked the power steering fluid leakage (which is from the pipe), and asked me to leave the car for the day to let him patch it up, so I guess I shouldn't worrying about it damaging the steering from a small patch. However, there is yet another problem, the gearbox kept clonking to change the gears, even after an oil replacement (it's an auto), but again, my mechanic kept lazing around it rather than actually check it. But anyway, it slips on the first gear, but clonks all the way up until fourth, although the clonks aren't really that bad at certain times, so what else might need to be serviced in the transmission?

Old 04-03-2016, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

for the clunks on the shifting, you may want to inspect your motor and transmission mounts.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:28 PM
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Just take the bulb out of the glove box light.