Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

1996 Volvo 850 GLT Leaking coolant + serp belt noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 01:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Volvo 850 GLT Leaking coolant + serp belt noise

Hi there,

Looking for some help figuring out what's going on with my non-turbo GLT.

I replaced the serpentine belt tensioner and pulley assembly because it was chattering and jumping. I also replaced the upper expansion tank hose attached to the coolant reservoir because I was seeing a bit of coolant leaking on the edge of the expansion tank.

Now my issues are that I have a coolant leak from where the larger tube meets the radiator. It drips down to the ground from there.

As far as the serp belt area noise, the chattering from the tensioner is gone, but now I get a chirping when I start the car. It is speed dependent. After the car has warmed up and I drive around for a few miles, the noise turns into a more sporadic clacking like sound. When I finally park and shut the car off, I get a leak at the previously mentioned location.

Last time I brought the car to a mechanic they topped off the coolant to the MAX level (which is overfilled) while the engine was cool and now I wonder since I've fixed the leak at the tank if the extra coolant isn't now just leaking at the next weakest point? Or is it possible I over tightened while replacing the upper expansion tank hose and now the coolant from the engine can't make it's way back to the tank and so leaks out elsewhere?

I think the serp. belt noise is unrelated but can't be sure at this point...
I'll try to post images tomorrow.

Thank you!

Old 08-24-2014, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Coolant leak sounds like you have a radiator hose going bad. I would check and replace both the upper and lower ones. You do NOT want to develop a leak so bad you overheat the car (ask me how I know as my son did it to ours). As for the chirping from the belt area, it sounds like it could be the belt squeaking a bit, or possibly the tensioner pulley itself needing to be lubricated. If you only replaced the tensioner and pulley you might want to conider a new serpentine belt as well.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:37 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

If the reservoir is at the MAX line, it is NOT overfilled. You should only open that cap when the system/car is cold.

If you see a leak, replace the hose first, it's a $18 part. If you still have a leak, you may need to replace the radiator.

As for noise at the front of the motor... it is very possible that you have a timing belt roller gone bad. That can end the life of the car if it comes apart. Take the serpentine belt off before you start the car in the morning. Start the car and drive it a little if you'd like. If you still hear the noise, you should look into servicing the timing belt parts. When was the last time the timing belt was replaced, with rollers, water pump, tensioner, etc.?