Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

850 AWD TRACS Light

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 10:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 850 AWD TRACS Light

hey guys quick question,was looking around the site, looking for info on the tracs system. i read that there is a light that is supposed to come on your dash on start up, so i opened up my dash and replaced the bulb, along with a turn signal bulb that had burnt out.(of course after i close it all up the light for the clock stops working,FML) anyway now the TRACS light works awesome.... but it won't turn off, i have hit the TRACS button and it does nothing, i do not feel any loss of traction or any slip from the tires, tried laying some rubber and nothing and have gone into corners and hit the gass to see what would happen and nothing. so is it just a light fault, a fuse,or should i pull the abs module or abs sensors and give them a cleaning? thanks againmike

Old 10-15-2013, 10:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does your speedo work?

What year?

Do you have a CEL? if so what's the code?

If >95' you should read all the codes, specially the ones from the BC/ABS.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:23 PM

Its a 97 awd. As for the speedo, I would say yes, but then again I have not gone through any speed traps or speed checks to see if my speedo is correct. And I don't have a scanner to read the codes, I borrowed a friends but it needs to be taken in for repairs, it would not read when connected.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:23 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Does the cruise work?

Old 10-17-2013, 12:09 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could be the broken solder joints in ABS module syndrome. Google it to learn more.

Typical aftermkt OBD2 scanner won't read ABS codes; may need to take to shop that can scan it or dealer (just to read the codes). If you don't have any sensor codes and they try and sell you a new ABS module, then it's most likely the syndrome noted above.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:35 AM

well the one i borrowed is from a mechanic, but it was not registering that it was connected so he is taking it in to get repaired if not he will have to buy a new one.
as for cruise control, i don't know, it had worked in the past but i will give it a try later on my way to work. i took it into my friends shop and he pulled out the sensors and module and cleaned up the connections and he said it was not bad they were fairly clean.
if cruise control does not work, what other issues should i look for? i have noticed last night actually, that the rear fog lamp switch and rear fog light and lamp in the dash is not working, could that be parrt of the issue?

Old 10-17-2013, 11:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our cars have huge problems with the ABS module main prongs. They tend to develop a cold joint after many cycles of heating and cooling. Also the IGN Switch tends to fail thus not making a full connection with ACC 2 wire.

I know AWD cars have the same issue PLUS more problems with the rears haft.

AWDs are out of my scope, but I can tell you that common problems are:

1- IGN Switch
--interment headlights, dash lights, sped, cruise control
SOl: Jiggle keys and live w/ it or replace IGN Switch or clean contacts

2- ABS Cold Joints
--Same as IGN Switch
SOL: there are lots of topics on this one.

3- Rear shaft failure --> Don't quote me on this one since I have little experience w/ AWDs.
SOL: ???

Old 10-18-2013, 03:48 AM

Wow, ok well my cruise control works, the speedo works, at least the needles moves up and down as I increase and decrease speed. The only light that won't come on is the rear fog lamp and it is the lamp and the switch that won't come on. My real question is how long have I had this issue since I have had the car for three years and only 2 days ago replaced the tracs light, and now to find this out.
All in all I should get the codes read, and more than likely replace the abs module. Cause like I said my friend pulled the sensors and the module and cleaned up the connections and He said they were in a good clean condition.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:24 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

You can not tell if an electronic component is good by looking at it... it has to be tested.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:45 AM

Fair enough, but I wanted to get at least the visual inspection out of the way, I have also gone and cleaned up my fuses, and battery terminals. Now on Monday I'm heading into the Volvo shop, hopefully anyway and get them to read the codes and see what they say. You guys have any recommendations? Just get them to read the codes or have them fix the issue aswell? Or is this a do it yourself kind of job, but I got to say I am definitely a noob at mechanic work. I'm more of a general maintenance guy.