Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

850 blower power connector is shorting. Replace connector?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 08:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 850 blower power connector is shorting. Replace connector?

Hi --
I recently replaced my blower and resistor on my '94 Volvo 850. Everything was running fine until one evening when I smelled burning / overheating plastic and the blower quit. I assumed the blower had seized or brushes had failed, though the blower fuse was fine. It was after ordering replacement parts, and beginning to remove the current blower, that it started working again. But, I noticed how hot the power wires were getting and the how hot the power connector to the blower was when running. In fact, the heat made the connector stick in the blower socket, and it took a good yank with a pliers to remove the connector. After doing that, I cleaned the contacts with a little emory paper and thoroughly blew out any debris with my compressor, reconnected the blower, and all was fine again for a month. Now, I'm starting to smell the overheated plastic of the connector again, and the motor waivers as if it is getting inconsistant power, and there seems to be a short there. Can anyone tell me what connector I need to order to replace the existing one, and how I should proceed?
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Jim

Old 06-25-2012, 11:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you have a poor connection at that connector that's melting. If the connector that's melting is part of the harness then you need to replace the connector housing and electrical connectors within. Can't help you with specific source for the parts but maybe junkyard or auto parts store, or stealer too?

Either that or your blower is drawing too much current. You didn't over-fuse it did you? ECC or no?

Old 12-10-2013, 03:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which connector, exactly?

Was it the connector in which the red and blue wires are housed that stuck in the INTERMEDIATE connector, or was it the intermediate connector that stuck in the fan housing socket? My problem was the former: I ended up disassembling (destroying, actually) the red/blue wires' socket, then plugging those wires into the intermediate connector individually. I completely covered them with electrical tape, before doing so.

I replaced the heater core about 2 weeks ago, at which time I thought the new "hot plastic" smell was the heater core reacting to the hot coolant, but now I have to wonder...