Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

850 turbo blowing out large amounts of white smoke help

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 01:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you don't service the PCV, you replace it. Id question the diagnosis of a bad turbo if they couldn't tell you HOW they determined it. Also, get a second opinion, especially if you're not mechanically inclined and/or familiar with these cars.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:20 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Do the PCV system first and see if that clears it up.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

assuming there is no mixing of oil & coolant , or obvious pressurizing of radiator overflow tank after turning car off (all signs of head gaskets failure)... THEN Likely is a seal inside the turbo is blown out. Often a simple replacement of that seal is needed, not a total rebuild. P.S. IF you have bad head gasket try K-seal. ppl have had good luck using this product to permenently fix (search Youtube & ebay)

Old 01-07-2013, 09:05 AM
Administrator

When our head gasket was leaking, the coolant tank would overflow while the car was running/driving. Also, my car was smoking a couple of months ago and it was 1 small vacuum line elbow that was causing the PCV system to push oil into the turbo causing the smoke. My turbo is fine.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:14 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by vlo145
Often a simple replacement of that seal is needed, not a total rebuild.
Not really sure what you're thinking here. Even if the owner was going to pull the turbo himself for the cost of a kit ($45-$65) you'd be much better off doing a rebuild rather than trying to find just one seal and likely having another go out soon after or a bearing.
If he's taking it in, and from the questions I'm guessing pulling the turbo is a little more than he might want to take on at this point the rebuild kit would be the least of the cost compared to labor for just the R&R and then it's good for an easy 100K miles. That's IF, IF it is the cause of the problem.

Attached Thumbnails 850 turbo blowing out large amounts of white smoke help-turbo-rebuild-kit.jpg   850 turbo blowing out large amounts of white smoke help-turbo-leaking-oil-1.jpg   850 turbo blowing out large amounts of white smoke help-turbo-leaking-oil-2.jpg  
Old 01-07-2013, 04:50 PM
Default Smoke

Don't kill your time; simple, remove two of your spark plugs (1 & 3) to see if is is filled with oil or antifreez if so your Head needs replacement. STOP DRIVING THE CAR ASAP if that is the case and have it towed to the shop.
it's costly to repair it, I just did it and getting it back this week in Chicago. The dealer wanted $4500 getting it done for $3K, you also want to check the Heater Core if it is leaking also you will need to replace it also or you will be rite back in the same boat.

Eric

Old 01-08-2013, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by slaughtersf
Don't kill your time; simple, remove two of your spark plugs (1 & 3) to see if is is filled with oil or antifreez if so your Head needs replacement. STOP DRIVING THE CAR ASAP if that is the case and have it towed to the shop.
it's costly to repair it, I just did it and getting it back this week in Chicago. The dealer wanted $4500 getting it done for $3K, you also want to check the Heater Core if it is leaking also you will need to replace it also or you will be rite back in the same boat.

Eric
__________________________________________________ _____________

Or they could just get some K-seal from ebay & more than likely cure the head gasket, heater core, cracked block etc... in a few minutes just by pouring it in the cold radiator. This product isnt your grandfathers sealer. It's worth a try first.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:45 AM

hmm a good reminder... mechanic rule #1 check all the simple / cheap stuff first.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog
Not really sure what you're thinking here. Even if the owner was going to pull the turbo himself for the cost of a kit ($45-$65) you'd be much better off doing a rebuild rather than trying to find just one seal and likely having another go out soon after or a bearing.
If he's taking it in, and from the questions I'm guessing pulling the turbo is a little more than he might want to take on at this point the rebuild kit would be the least of the cost compared to labor for just the R&R and then it's good for an easy 100K miles. That's IF, IF it is the cause of the problem.
__________________________________________________ __

My thinking is that most likely he wont be doing the job himself. Im sure ur aware that most mechanics would love to take advantage of their $$$ituation. Not everyone has thou$ands to invest in a 5k car. In reality, turbos are very durable, most of the time they only need a seal change. Of coarse they should check out the turbo fully also while it's out (maybe replace with good used turbo depending on what mechanics labor rate is). Ive sold tons of used turbos, never had one come back. looking at the thread now, it looks like the cause wasnt a turbo.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:44 PM

Thanks for all the info guys I'm going to replace the spark plugs this weekend and I have a friend that has a turbo for cheap if the worst does come out of it and yeah I was quoted just 500 for the labor to replace so this weekend I will update on the plugs

Old 01-09-2013, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Again, do the PCV before you do anything else (other than the easy plugs). These cars are very sensitive to the vacuum system.