Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

94 850 Wiper stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 10:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 850 Wiper stopped working

Hi guys im new here. I have a 94 850 2.4 non tubro. Yesterday was raining and i was using the wipers no problem and so in the past. I stopped at a gas station and i seen that drivers side wiper arm was not wiping properly on the windshield so i moved it by hand going up. Since then the wipers stopped working, it blew a fuse so i put a new one in and as soon as i turned the ignition it blew again. Tried it several times and still blowing fuses. I took the whole top cover off and unplugged the motor put a new fuse in did not blow when i put the ignition on. What could be the problem did i do something or just a freak accident that it just went out.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may have jammed the motor by forcing the arm up. That would be my first guess.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:51 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The joint between the aluminum arm and the steel stud is delicate. By forcing an arm you can auger the aluminum joint and tear aluminum out so it won't work. If done once you can usually take it apart and clean the steel serrated stud with a wire brush to remove the aluminum bits so it can again get a bite on the arm. Not your problem but something to be aware of.

You have a shorted motor or a jammed transmission. If you remove the arms and then try to manipulate the transmission unplugged and then plug it in you might get some life out of it. If you remove the motor try to work the transmission by hand to see if it moves freely.

I had my rear seize on me first. I notice it seemed to be slower than I remembered and then a rain or three later it failed to park. The motor was cooking but didn't blow a fuse. It was still trying as it wouldn't return to "park". Took it apart and found it had corroded where it goes through the sheet metal. It's a steel stud in an aluminum sheath. The road salt got in there and corroded the aluminum until it seized the wipers shaft. Took it all apart and by hand ran a drill bit through the aluminum going one size up each time and trying the wiper motors shaft until I just had some clearance. Then I greased it with synthetic wheel bearing grease and after reassembly applied some silicone sealant to the end before putting the arm on to help it seal.
Rear wiper worked great !!! Two years later it's still going strong.

Then the front started to slow a bit and froze too!! Same problem, did the same procedure. Two years later, yup it's still working great.
Maybe your fronts are seized but from your description I'm guessing it's the motor that died.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for getting back under behind the motor i can move the rod back and fourth so its not seized up because it moves freely

Old 09-04-2013, 12:56 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcin Olczak
I can move the rod back and fourth so its not seized up because it moves freely
Sounds like the motor died. I'd unplug the motor, install the fuse and use a test light to make sure you have power to the motor and that with the motor out of the circuit the fuse doesn't blow. That eliminates the chance it's shorted in the wiring someplace.