Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

94 volvo 850 T5 CEL problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 09:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 volvo 850 T5 CEL problems

I am brand spanking new to this forum. I have been a VW guy for a while but I have had my eye on an 850/V70 for a while. I am trying to learn these cars.

I have a couple of issues going on. One problem is I have a CEL, which isnt a big deal but jumper wire has been ripped out of the OBD bank.

Name:  DSC_0016.jpg
Views: 4197
Size:  77.8 KB

I pulled the plastic cap that surrounds the button and the light, stripped the wire, placed it back in there, and put the cap back on. The light works when I push the button but it will not blink codes out. Can this bank be replaced? Is there a way to delete the codes? I tried disconnecting the battery for an hour and did absolutely nothing.

Another problem I am having is that my service light is coming on for about one minute when I first start the car. It doesnt matter if it is a cold start or a hot start, it does this no matter what.

I do not normally drive the car fast very often but I noticed that the turbo doesnt always spool up. I do get a positive pressure according to the boost gauge in the cluster but it does not go all the way up under a load. This is an intermittent problem. Almost seems like it is going into a limp mode for a moment.

One other thing I noticed was on a cold start the engine revs up to about 2K-3K rpms for about 4-5 seconds then settles. It does not do this when the engine is warm.

I do not believe there is a vacuum leak, I did a engine on vacuum test and it was at a steady 19 inHg

I am assuming the 4 issues I am having here are all connected. Any help from you guys will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Jason

Last edited by vw_jason79; 04-23-2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:30 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Your car may/should have a OBD-II port in front of the shifter under the coin holder. Try to get a code from there. Here is the link to reset the service light. You may want to print it and toss it in your glovebox.
https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/how-reset-service-light-93-through-95-models-36251/

As for your other issues, you may have a small vacuum leak somewhere. How is the PCV system?

Old 04-23-2010, 10:37 PM

Thanks for the reply, Im going to try using the #7 port to reset as described in the thread and see if the CEL comes on again. I had the CEL show up about 2 weeks after buying the car. The one thing that stands out in my mind that could of set it off is the 2 of the 3 downpipe nuts were loose as hell when I was going through the car. Could the O2 sensor throw a hard code from that?

One other question, are the PCV systems on these cars a usual suspect with higher mileage? This car's odometer stopped working at 188K, so who knows how many miles are on it. I would guess 250K, which would seem like a realistic number for the year.

So did Volvo start using an OBDII plug before 96? Ive always heard that there were some car manufactures that had introduced this early on some cars I haven't ever seen it. Ive got my fingers crossed for good weather tomorrow.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:13 PM
Administrator

Yes O2 sensors can throw codes.

PCV systems can be bad on low milage cars as well. Mine had 78,000 on it when it was bad. I believe it's a combination of miles and years.

The best way to guess your cars true milage is to call a Dealer and find out what service was done last when the odometer was working. I believe they can also get milage from the computer and the OBD-I reader. Here are the instructions:
https://volvoforums.com/m_145069/tm.htm

Volvo put OBD-II plugs in some '94 850. I think they did in all turbo models. But my guess is that it was started in a certain production number/month. Keep your fingers crossed. I did not know my '95 had it until I was told by another owner or actually picked the car up. It's nice to have both. BTY, my service light came on tonight. LOL

Old 04-24-2010, 12:14 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by rspi
The best way to guess your cars true milage is to call a Dealer and find out what service was done last when the odometer was working. I believe they can also get milage from the computer and the OBD-I reader. Here are the instructions:
https://volvoforums.com/m_145069/tm.htm
Thats pretty cool that the DTC bank will read that out. Ive always been a OBD-0 kinda guy with VWs. Ive been stubborn about learning the newer stuff.

BTY, my service light came on tonight. LOL
That sux.

Well there is a break in the rain, gonna go do some work/investigating.

Old 04-24-2010, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by rspi
Your car may/should have a OBD-II port in front of the shifter under the coin holder.
Well Ill be damned. Any recommendations on a reader? Im completely new when it comes to OBD2. Not looking for a crazy expensive one like Snap-On on Mac Tools.

Name:  DSC_0019.jpg
Views: 3201
Size:  91.6 KB

Old 04-25-2010, 09:05 AM
Administrator

I just got one from eBay. Cost about $65, Top ???. Works pretty good.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:43 PM
Default Jumper Wire fix - repair

I managed to fix ours with solder and some shrink wrap. Works like new.

Originally Posted by vw_jason79
I am brand spanking new to this forum. I have been a VW guy for a while but I have had my eye on an 850/V70 for a while. I am trying to learn these cars.

I have a couple of issues going on. One problem is I have a CEL, which isnt a big deal but jumper wire has been ripped out of the OBD bank.

I pulled the plastic cap that surrounds the button and the light, stripped the wire, placed it back in there, and put the cap back on. The light works when I push the button but it will not blink codes out. Can this bank be replaced? Is there a way to delete the codes? I tried disconnecting the battery for an hour and did absolutely nothing.

Another problem I am having is that my service light is coming on for about one minute when I first start the car. It doesnt matter if it is a cold start or a hot start, it does this no matter what.

I do not normally drive the car fast very often but I noticed that the turbo doesnt always spool up. I do get a positive pressure according to the boost gauge in the cluster but it does not go all the way up under a load. This is an intermittent problem. Almost seems like it is going into a limp mode for a moment.

One other thing I noticed was on a cold start the engine revs up to about 2K-3K rpms for about 4-5 seconds then settles. It does not do this when the engine is warm.

I do not believe there is a vacuum leak, I did a engine on vacuum test and it was at a steady 19 inHg

I am assuming the 4 issues I am having here are all connected. Any help from you guys will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Jason