Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

abs tracs

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 07:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default abs tracs

the abs and tracs light come on intermittently after i used the ebrake a few days ago. i cleaned the front ones the other day when i replaced the front struts and plan on cleaning the rear ones tomorrow. also when i brake the rear vibrates, sometimes bad sometimes not so bad. today i noticed only for the second time when the abs/tracs light came on i heard a buzzing under the hood and the brake pedal vibrated. ideas are welcome as i continue to google the issue, what should i be looking for when im cleaning the rear ones tomorrow, something ebrake related? i know the module may be bad but im going to exhaust all other options before i swap out the unit from the sedan. which brings me to another question will the module from the 95 work in the 97, are they one in the same?

Old 05-07-2012, 09:40 AM

this is like a diary...
this morning i removed the rear wheels in an attempt to clean the rear abs sensor but it would not budge after removing the 10 mm bolt. i have read people trying to force it out and ended up breaking it so the only other access to it is from the other side so i cleaned it and the tooths and the ebrake assembly which was loose and missing one shoe. ill replace the ebrake and rear shoes. other than that it all looks fine. onto the other side. i beginning to think the module needs to be sent out.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:14 PM

Mine is similiar but, it's from the front and it's very faint. I just replaced the ABS module with a rebuild from FCP but, it still does it. Completely at a loss on mine.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:18 PM

i resat the abs module and electrical connectors, drove around a long while...so far so good. i recall looking at it a few weeks ago, maybe i didnt get it sat all the way or moved the module enough to temporarily get the solder joints to connect only time will tell. is it possible the shimmy while braking is coming from the rear shocks being bad and it needing an alignment?

Old 05-08-2012, 01:49 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cheesenacho
ill replace the ebrake and rear shoes.
Oreilly sells the parking brake shoes for 25.99 P/N 820

Old 05-08-2012, 06:12 PM

Abs/trace light back on after severe rear wheel vibration. Would bad rear shocks cause this vibration. It's real bad going down a hill and applying the brakes, should I concentrate on shocks or rear brake shims.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:50 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you're only getting the vibration while braking it would pretty much eliminate the shocks as being the cause. Weak shocks could make the problem feel worse but they wouldn't be the cause.
Normally a vibration while braking is caused by out of round drums or warped rotors. Sometimes the warped rotors are caused by the calipers or the mounting hardware seizing in place and not allowing both pads to work equally so one side does most or all the work and overheats causing the warping. That's why just doing a pad slap where just the pads are replaced is such a bad idea. Everything should be taken apart, cleaned up, rotors or drums machined or replaced, old grease/lube removed and fresh hi temp brake lube applied to all contact points. It's more work but you get better braking feel and pad/rotor life when it's done right.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:07 AM

Looking for a tutorial for a complete rear brake job sounds like a good idea. need suggestions for parts. i usually use fcp and go with oem replacements, what have you used and are happy with the results? im going to replace the ebrake stuff because its trashed, rotors, pads, shims.

Last edited by cheesenacho; 05-09-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by cheesenacho
the abs and tracs light come on intermittently after i used the ebrake a few days ago. i cleaned the front ones the other day when i replaced the front struts and plan on cleaning the rear ones tomorrow. also when i brake the rear vibrates, sometimes bad sometimes not so bad. today i noticed only for the second time when the abs/tracs light came on i heard a buzzing under the hood and the brake pedal vibrated. ideas are welcome as i continue to google the issue, what should i be looking for when im cleaning the rear ones tomorrow, something ebrake related? i know the module may be bad but im going to exhaust all other options before i swap out the unit from the sedan. which brings me to another question will the module from the 95 work in the 97, are they one in the same?
I think you should check the abs and tracs with scanner.