Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

replacing brake hoses...pain in the A$$

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 08:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing brake hoses...pain in the A$$

Hey...trying to replace my brake hoses w/ the Stainless Steel Braided lines, but i am having a hell of a time getting the old hoses off. i have tried cleaning them up first and used a ton of PB blaster, but i can't break the hose loose from where it conects to the solids lines.

So far i've just tried to put 2 wrenches on it (11mm on the nut for the solid line, and 14 on the rubber hose side). Looking for some tips before i round off yet another nut while trying this. Even tried it with a gripwrench and that even got rounded off... I'm thinking there's gotta be some trick to doing this...no way should it be this hard!

What's the deal w/ that spring clip attachment? does that need to be removed somehow?

Do you usually turn the nut on the solid line or on the rubber hose side?

Is it any easier/harder to remove the mounting bracket where this connection is at?

Any suggestions would be appreciated...Thanks!! [/align]

Old 02-09-2008, 09:22 PM
Default RE: replacing brake hoses...pain in the A$$

Those suck. It's the caliper and the brake lines are two different metals so over time, they begin to fuse to each other. I think you're going to need a lot of heat.......

Edit: Try Vicegrips. And also get the flare tools..

Old 02-09-2008, 09:47 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

If it is Fubar already get a GOOD pair if Vise Grips and clamp them on VERY hard.
If the rubber hose is loose from the mounting you can spin the rubber hose. If not the nut on the metal line will turn.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:02 PM

one of them is pretty FUBARed already...i'll try the vice grips on it tomrorow. but the others are ok for now..just tryin to not mess up the others when i try to take them off.

I don't mind if the hoses get screwed up since i've got the replacement ones, but it's the nut on the metal line i'm worried about and having to replace the entire metal line.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heat works well. You could also cut the hard line and reflare them (bubble flare). The spring clip just makes sure the hard line seats in the little clip which holds one of the nuts (forget which one). How long has the PB been on there. I mean there is a point where it just doesn't work, but if you leave it on for a while and keep applying every few hours it seems to creep in pretty far.

My fronts didn't give me trouble, but my rears had to be cut and remade.
[align=left] [/align]