Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

95-850 Turbo eng quits running after it warms up

Old 10-31-2007, 10:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95-850 Turbo eng quits running after it warms up

My 850 Turbo
seems to be temp sensetive to running in that it quits once it warms up and the longer it cools down after stalling the longer it runs again. I can run my heater on high and that seems to keep the 850 cool enough to run continually.

On a suggestion from a friend I replaced the coolant temp sensor but still has same problem. I hope the new sensor was not bad from stock but I could check by heating it up and watching it's resitance ith a meter.

Now during one of my down times I popped the hood to check things out and noticed the radiator fan was not working - ok but if it doesn't work then why has not my temperature gauge on the dash never indicated warmer than ususal? and it does indicate cold when cold - not unless the eng temp shut off sensor is supper sensative and does shut it down at the slightest increase.

Another thing that I noticed on the instrument cluster was the turbo indicator is still as in dose not move and points straight up no matter how fast I am going.

When at home I thought to check the radiator fan and so I jumpered it to battery but found that it works fine. Then I thought to check the fan relay and when I disconnected the tepm/switch there on the thermostat housing the fan came on so that would tell me the relay and fan is good, Correct?

I just checked my codes, 213,214,141,142, and they agree with what I got the other day and just rear ABS faults and break pedal position sensor, nothing related. How do I clear all these codes to start a fresh?

My question is what do I do next to eliminate and or acctually trouble shoot my problem? Any suggestions? Let me assure you that any info given will be appreciated and taken seriously! Thank you all very much!

SR Heer

Old 11-01-2007, 05:48 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: 95-850 Turbo eng quits running after it warms up

Welcome to the forum, I hope it is helpful & enjoyable to you.

As to engine dying when hot, were there any codes in the engine ECU? MAF sensor seems to be giving problems to some people, without triggering a code. If MAF sensor is fine, then it could be fuel or ignition related problem. When was the last time the car had a good tune-up?

Electric cooling fans on FWD cars turn on only when it's needed, and it remains stationary until the coolant temp exceeds certain threshold. They would be constantly running, however, when the A/C is being used.

We would like more info on your car to narrow down the problem. In the meantime, the following thread may be of some use:

https://volvoforums.com/m_48928/tm.htm

Cheers,

JPN

Old 11-01-2007, 10:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 95-850 Turbo eng quits running after it warms up

I had the same problem... guage was fine, but fan was not working. From what I understand, this means that the coolant temp sensor is fine but your fan relay is messed up. I went ahead and replaced thefan relay and thermostat and have not had any problems yet (about 1k since swap).