Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

96 850 computer issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 850 computer issue

I have a 96 850 Turbo wagon. Last Thursday I went to my car and it would not start. I got it to turn over well but just would not fire up. It was not the battery. So, I replaced the ignition control and had it running for a few seconds. Now I am getting an issue in the computer. Computer is not processing, coil pack is not firing, just no spark. I don't want to have to get a whole new computer or anything so I am wondering if there is anything I am missing or just not thinking of. Please help.
Thanks

Old 04-08-2013, 05:25 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

What testing have you done ??

Did you know for sure you had no spark before you replaced the ignition control module (and coil?)?

Do you have a check engine light on and if so what are the codes ?

Why do you think you have a computer issue and not an input sensor problem like the cam or crank position sensors?

Old 04-08-2013, 06:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is the one of the problems. I do not have a reader so I don't what it is telling me. It is now at a mechanic and I just want to make sure he is not overlooking anything as he typically only works on American made cars. The check engine light was on for the past couple weeks. He believes that the computer is bad because coil is not firing, fuel pump is fine, just no signal to the computer. I am sorry as I don't know much about cars at all. I wish I knew more so I could describe better. Any advice would surely be appreciated.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:50 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you go into your "UserCP" at the upper left of the screen, at the left end of the solid blue bar you can add your location. It's also a good idea to select your "signature" and type in your cars basic info like year, engine, turbo or not, manual or auto and any modifications that might be important. That way each time you post you don't have to remember to include that info.

If you are in the US you can go to almost any auto parts store like Autozone or Oreilly and have the codes read. It gives you the information the computer is seeing as a fault to turn the check engine light on.

If you can post codes it's really helpful in trying to figure out what it is that's wrong with the vehicle. It's really hard to try and guess what might be wrong when the car it isn't in your hands as "we" can't ask you to check this or try that.

Might be helpful to your mechanic if he gets in a bind to have him sign on here and ask for help. Be easier than him trying to explain it to you, you to us and us trying to tell you what to tell him to try. It hurts just typing that

Another site you might like to browse is MatthewsVolvoSite.com They have a lot of great how-to write ups. It will help you with terminology and getting more familiar with your car. After all, the better the question you can ask and more accurately you can describe it the better the response from those trying to help.
Good luck.