Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

96 850 turbo replaced starter. cranks but wont start

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 05:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 850 turbo replaced starter. cranks but wont start

just replaced starter. engine cranks but wont start. fuel pump engages and was also replaced recently. any ideas? took out fuel pump relay to test it but I don't know which ones to test and with what? spark plugs also changed recently.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:31 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

If you hear the fuel pump running move to other options. You need 4 things for the car to fire... air, fuel, spark, and compression.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:06 AM

the fuel pump is engaging. the spark plugs are brand new as is the fuel pump. I took out the fuel pump relay and tried to test it. I had no paper clip so I used a bx nail I think its called. the car never started only cranked but it cranked better when I had the relay out. tried spraying starter fluid and it helped a little. the car sounds like it wants to start but just wont and to me and my father in law it sounds like its just not getting fuel so we think it might be a clog or possibly the relay. any ideas how to check for a clog or how to blow out a clog? the reason we think its clogged is because the gas light came on and we drove it looking for a gas station to no avail and parked the car went to ny for the weekend came back and the car started but started to stall and chug very hard then it died and hasn't started since. the starter got fried from trying to start it so many times so as I said the starter got replaced but now were stuck. any help will be appreciated. thank you

Old 03-24-2013, 07:44 AM
Administrator

If you hear the fuel pump the relay is likely fine. You can try to start it, then pull a plug to see if it's wet or if you can smell fuel in the chamber.

So, you need to move on... Is the timing belt fine? When you crank it, does the cam turn? You can see it by looking in the oil cap or just pull the timing belt cover and see what it looks like.

My best guess is that you have a burnt valve. You need to do a compression test and see what those numbers are.

http://atthetipwebs.com/technologyin...ssion_test.htm

Old 03-24-2013, 11:38 AM

if I pull the plugs and they are wet with fuel what do I do? do I pull the plugs out and let them dry? I will check if the cam turns and if the timing belt is ok. my guess is the timing belt is fine and the cam is turning. could the cam sensor or crankshaft sensor have anything to do with it? as I said when I crank the car everything sounds fine and the engine sounds as if it is about to turn over but it just sounds like fuel is not getting to the engine. when I tested the relay on a continuity tester 2 at a time some of them barely lit the light up so does that mean the relay is faulty? when the fuel pumps were changed I did not change the relay and some people have said that that should be the case. is there a way I can clean the fuel line or possibly blow it clean?

Old 03-24-2013, 09:57 PM
Administrator

Just do what I suggested. If there is fuel and/or spark, the cam sensors are fine. When a cam sensor is bad, it will cut fuel and spark.

So, you need fuel, air, spark and compression for your car to start and run. If the spark plugs are wet, guess what, you have fuel. If you check for spark and you have spark, guess what, you have spark. If there is air getting in the chamber, because you have open the throttle or your MAF and/or IAC are working, that leaves 1 last thing to check... compression.

You can scratch your head and avoid it all day, but it will not help. You need to check compression. A valve can chip/crack at any time. They call it a burnt valve but it's really a cracked or chip valve. You can park your car and go to start it 5 minutes later and a valve chip because it already had a crack in it from the past days, months, etc.

If you feel that the car is flooded because of all the fuel you may have dumped into the chamber, pull the plugs and let them air out a few hours and dry. I have heard of people flooding the car and the fuel washing down the piston walls causing it to loose, guess what... compression. So, when we are done chasing this rabbit, someone will end up checking compression. It's really easy to do and the gauge only cost about $50. Heck, you and I have both wasted that with our time typing about this. If you haven't I know I have.

If you check compression and it's low across the board, like 50 psi or something, put a little oil in each cylinder and try to start it. Make sure the spark plugs are clean and properly gapped. If most of the cylinders are fine and you have 1 with ZERO compression, you likely have a burnt valve.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:09 PM
Administrator

Oh, no I don't know how to test a relay other than if it doesn't turn the fuel pump on.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:20 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Let's consolidate to this thread, same guy, same problem.

https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...o-69926/page3/