Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

96 850R cuts out and stutters when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 09:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When did you do the pcv on the yellow rob?

You might be right Tia said the last time I did it on the other matt's car down here she said it took me about an hour and a half to 2 hours..

Old 01-29-2013, 09:26 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

My sheet says: 7/27/2009 - PCV Supplies - Self, 89,000 - $131.36
The first time it took me 6 hours, the second about 5-1/2 hours.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator

Take a good look at your boost needle and see how far it goes before it cuts out. The 850 turbo is set to boost to 9.6psi which is still in the white. The 850R should boost to 10.5 and should almost clear the white. If you are boosting past this point and you get to 14.5 psi your ECU will cut the fuel off from the engine and the engine will fall on its face giving the driver a big buck. You mentioned that this car pulls harder than your last turbo. When was the last time or do you know if the vaccum lines have been replaced? A broken or leaking vacuum line to the wastegate will cause this.

Stage 0 is a good tune-up. It should include plugs, wires, cap, rotor, vacuum lines, PCV system, air filter, oil change and any other brittle hoses you find....and you will find some.

The spark plug gap of .026 is good advice. The .028 is the OEM gap and a smaller gap will help during higher boost.

Spark plugs, Champion RC7YC - cheap and work great.

Last edited by rspi; 01-30-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:10 AM

All of you are wonderful, I just want to say that. So much information and so much helpful stuff! @rspi, I'll check those hoses today sometime. I drove it shortly for a bit yesterday, however, my girlfriend didn't feel safe with me testing the car so I only did it a couple times and the needle went past the white and it went there very quickly. But when I drive it normally it feels really good! Like... perfect!

I'm really hoping it's not a clogged PCV but it probably could use some cleaning anyway. It's always pulled hard since I bought it but after changing the plugs and wires, do you think that could have made it boost higher? I'm just trying to figure this out. I might have to wait to do all of this for a while because of financial reason, I may not get my tax return as planned (ex-wife) so yea. I was kind of planning of working on it with that money.

Anyway, I'll get to it soon though. And as far as the paint goes, I will keep it red, but it still needs a new coat. The wing is very faded, almost white one the top, and the R bumper and rear bumper have some deep scrapes from the previous driver. The one thing I don't like about my 850R is that I can't keep it forever and I probably won't be able to do everything I want to it (manual tranny). I love working on it and yes it does get annoying sometimes, mainly when I'm not expecting it. But it's a fun car for sure! I'm very happy I have it.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

. It's always pulled hard since I bought it but after changing the plugs and wires, do you think that could have made it boost higher?

no, you probably have one of the hose unhooked. you are overboosting and that can mess up your turbo. it happened to me and now my turbo boost very low.l am looking forward for summer and l will remove my turbo, clean it and see if it helps bring the boost back.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by das8track

. It's always pulled hard since I bought it but after changing the plugs and wires, do you think that could have made it boost higher? I'm just trying to figure this out.

no, you probably have one of the hose unhooked. you are overboosting and that can mess up your turbo. it happened to me and now my turbo boost very low.l am looking forward for summer and l will remove my turbo, clean it and see if it helps bring the boost back.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

I'm really hoping it's not a clogged PCV but it probably could use some cleaning anyway. It's always pulled hard since I bought it but after changing the plugs and wires, do you think that could have made it boost higher? I'm just trying to figure this out. I might have to wait to do all of this for a while because of financial reason, I may not get my tax return as planned (ex-wife) so yea. I was kind of planning of working on it with that money.
Nope but vacuum lines could have been damaged while changing the wires.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:28 PM

Is your fuel pump relay good??
The last time I had this issue my halls sensor was bad in my distributor, so I replaced it but that was a pricy change.
Quick Hall sensor test: the tachometer needle does jump slighty as you crank engine over if the Hall sensor is working, but the needle lays dead if the sensor is not working.
In all actuality I have no idea if your year and make has this since it's later than 89!

Old 01-30-2013, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by boxpin
Nope but vacuum lines could have been damaged while changing the wires.
That might very well be. I tried looking for them just with the hood open but I think I have to remove stuff? Sorry if I sound like a little kid. I also just went out and drove it and took a couple videos. I'm uploading them now and I'll post it here in a bit.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:21 PM

This should give you guys a better example:

Last edited by das8track; 01-30-2013 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:53 PM

You have a real bad valve tap...
whats your oil level at?

Old 01-30-2013, 04:18 PM

dude l would stop boosting the engine if l was you. check you oil level. take care of the pcv and change seals first.stop boosting, you will break your turbo. it happened to me. just stop it before you cause damage that will drain your pocket.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:26 PM

you lifters are making that knocking sound. how long has this been knocking like that? since you got the car? my lifters used to knock like that but l fixed it.it will knock its head off when warm. here is a video of mine,

this is after lifter change, and oil pan seals replacement.
the squeking noise is just the power steering pump that needs greasing. the lifters sounds quiet now

Old 01-30-2013, 05:11 PM

I need to put oil in so I think that's why it started today. I'm about to go get some oil. I'm getting a P0133 code now that happened about 10 minutes ago. I'll be checking that too. And I've been very easy on the car other than trying to diagnose what's wrong. I think I might have to clean everything out. I don't know how much it's all going to cost. And I need to prioritize everything. Should I clean the PCV first? or should I try and check the vacuum lines? This is obnoxious haha

Old 01-30-2013, 05:42 PM
Administrator

Dude, you really are not driving the car with low oil??? Do you hate the car?

1. Oil.
2. Good oil filter, OEM or MANN (only in my book).
3. Fix overboosting. Don't do it again before you fix it.
4. PCV, if you don't know when it was REPLACED last, REPLACE the entire system.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:43 PM

I need to put oil in so I think that's why it started today. I'm about to go get some oil. I'm getting a P0133 code now that happened about 10 minutes ago. I'll be checking that too. And I've been very easy on the car other than trying to diagnose what's wrong. I think I might have to clean everything out. I don't know how much it's all going to cost. And I need to prioritize everything. Should I clean the PCV first? or should I try and check the vacuum lines? This is obnoxious haha
are you handy?if you are get the tools and replace the pcv first. you will save alot of money doing it yourself. the dealer wanted $700 just to change my pcv. am like heck no, got my tools and within four hours l was done because l had alot of cleaning to do. its not hard, just time consuming. you will only need to get parts if you are planning on doing it yourself

Old 01-30-2013, 05:47 PM

No I don't hate the car. The truth is that I haven't really had the time to do anything with the oil. I only found out it was low within the past few days so I'm going to get some either tonight or tomorrow morning.

I want to be able to do it myself for sure, but I'm not sure how to go about doing it. I found a tutorial online so I'll look that over and see if I have the tools for the job. $700?? No way! I'll do it myself. I just need parts now I guess.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:52 PM
Administrator

I don't think I'll ever get less than a quart low. I keep a quart in the trunk with the spare tire.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by rspi
I don't think I'll ever get less than a quart low. I keep a quart in the trunk with the spare tire.
That's a good idea! I'll have to use that and buy an extra quart when I go out for some.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:04 PM

do the right thing buddy.lol. these cars are too sweet to be treated badly.lol

Quick Reply: 96 850R cuts out and stutters when accelerating