Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

96 850R cuts out and stutters when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 06:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slimflex2
do the right thing buddy.lol. these cars are too sweet to be treated badly.lol
I know I love my car and I don't want it to break or anything. The oil thing is my fault for not checking sooner. I'll be keeping it parked for the next few days after I get oil because I feel bad for driving it. I really want to do the PCV replacement. I'm very nervous on starting though because I don't want to break anything. FCP has a kit for $147. Does that sound right?

>>>>>>>>>FCP PCV Kit

Old 01-30-2013, 06:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by das8track
I know I love my car and I don't want it to break or anything. The oil thing is my fault for not checking sooner. I'll be keeping it parked for the next few days after I get oil because I feel bad for driving it. I really want to do the PCV replacement. I'm very nervous on starting though because I don't want to break anything. FCP has a kit for $147. Does that sound right?

>>>>>>>>>FCP PCV Kit
yea it sounds right. fcp has promocodes available online.search for it and you can get like 10%off with free shipping.look it up before you get it. dude trust me its not hard. just keep track of where things go and you should be fine. l was skeptical too when l first handled mine. l did it for a friend in less than 2 hours because it wasnt my first time. where r you located?

Old 01-30-2013, 06:32 PM

ok l got it, you are in kansas. nowhere close to me.lol

Old 01-30-2013, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by slimflex2
yea it sounds right. fcp has promocodes available online.search for it and you can get like 10%off with free shipping.look it up before you get it. dude trust me its not hard. just keep track of where things go and you should be fine. l was skeptical too when l first handled mine. l did it for a friend in less than 2 hours because it wasnt my first time. where r you located?
The more I look at the instructions the more I feel I could do it. I just hate messing with the fuel rail. :X But I'm going to wait until I get some extra money and order a kit. IPD has one too for a few cents cheaper.

I'm in Kansas City... Missouri side

Old 01-30-2013, 06:49 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

There is a guy there that can help you if you get in a jam. When you order the kit make sure you tell them that you only want Volvo parts.

You can drive the car, just don't do it until you get oil in it and make sure you don't put your foot in it. Turn the switch to E and take it easy.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:59 PM

Who is the guy that might help if I need it? Or do you mean when I order online?

Also, she's got oil in her now and sitting pretty. :P

Old 02-02-2013, 12:27 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rspi
Dude, you really are not driving the car with low oil??? Do you hate the car?

1. Oil.
2. Good oil filter, OEM or MANN (only in my book).
3. Fix overboosting. Don't do it again before you fix it.
4. PCV, if you don't know when it was REPLACED last, REPLACE the entire system.
What rspi said!! And in that priority too!

Here's some educational material for item #3 (prepare to be schooled):

Old 02-02-2013, 10:42 AM

The more I look at the instructions the more I feel I could do it. I just hate messing with the fuel rail. :X But I'm going to wait until I get some extra money and order a kit. IPD has one too for a few cents cheaper.

I'm in Kansas City... Missouri side
the fuel rail is not a big deal. its very easy to come off.trust me

Old 02-02-2013, 12:59 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm very nervous on starting though because I don't want to break anything.

>>>>>>>>>FCP PCV Kit
But stuff breaks. Sometimes no matter how good you are, how expensive your tools a part is going to break. Each year older the car, the weaker or more brittle parts become.

Do the research. Try to find a "how to" with pictures and if you feel you have the skills, tools and can get the parts don't let that fear stop you. The big thing is to think a step or two ahead and be careful where you lean or pry from. Sometimes taking the time to remove something is easier and cheaper than trying to work with it in your way (snap, crack)

Old 02-03-2013, 10:48 PM

deleted post

Old 02-04-2013, 04:12 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Who is the guy that might help if I need it?
The actual work.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:17 AM

Alright I think I'm going to order the parts today. I think I'll be able to replace everything just fine. I found a how to with pictures on a 96 R so hopefully that's accurate enough for me to do it. The pictures are clear so it should be good. I want to thank everyone again for all the help and incite. I would probably be stuck in a ditch if it weren't for everyone here! I'll take some pictures once I get going.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:45 PM

So I went to attack the over boosting today and started to try and take the hose off the wastegate to test it. Turns out, it was busted and ripped apart. So then I went to see where it exactly connected to and noticed that one of the hoses did the same thing (Not sure if it's the same hose). Here is a picture:

Now I'm looking to see what size hose I need to just replace all 3 of them. They look awful and are probably going to fall apart soon. So far, I found a thread saying I might need 3/16th inch rubber hose. IPD shows a 5mm silicone hose. And I have no idea where I could pick some up in a local store. Does anyone know exactly what hoses I need? I can't find anything online... Thank you again.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:51 PM

Well I took a hose with me to advance auto parts and they matched the hose almost exactly. I only needed to change 2 of them so that's all done. I'm about to bring it for a drive and see what's up with it. I also did the overboost wastegate test and everything looked normal so I'm hoping it was the hoses that were making it overboost since there was really nothing connected to the wastegate. I'll post when I get back.

UPDATE:

Well, the overboosting is completely gone, but now it barely boosts at all. No Pull, definitely feels like a car with 214,xxx miles haha I'm going to double check the BCS set up because it didn't seem right before I messed with it. I just replaced the lines the way they were so maybe whoever had it before me had it all wrong. That'll be a project for tomorrow though, it's starting to get dark here.

UPDATE #2:

The BCS set up was correct but I noticed another line that way split so I replaced a couple more and it ran the same. Checked my CEL codes and noticed another MAF code so i bought some cleaner and cleaned it out. Now it runs perfectly! I did notice a whistling sound where one of the hoses I replaced was. I need to order a couple elbows from IPD to fix that but everything is back to normal, boosting and everything. I'm also no longer smoking out of the oil dip stick so i'm going to wait on the PCV kit for now since I don't have a job. I know I've said this a ton of times but thank you everybody who has helped me with this!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

Last edited by das8track; 02-06-2013 at 09:45 PM.