Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

94 Turbo Wagon Cleaned PTC!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 06:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Turbo Wagon Cleaned PTC!

Well I cleaned my PTC today, yes that little vacuum was plugged! Yesterday I took my car to the Best Volvo shop here in Boise and had them replace the intake vaccum. It was broke cracked and leaking or sucking air. So today I finished the PTC job; used brake cleaner and replaced the small rubber vaccum hose at the PTC area. My smoking dipstick is reduced, and I will check tomorrow. Is it just me or is my Volvo running quicker? It now seems more effortless upon acceleration? Anybody have the same result? Quicker speed? Feels good thanks!

Attached Thumbnails 94 Turbo Wagon Cleaned PTC!-image.jpg  
Old 02-03-2013, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Marvin Lee
Well I cleaned my PTC today, yes that little vacuum was plugged! Yesterday I took my car to the Best Volvo shop here in Boise and had them replace the intake vaccum. It was broke cracked and leaking or sucking air. So today I finished the PTC job; used brake cleaner and replaced the small rubber vaccum hose at the PTC area. My smoking dipstick is reduced, and I will check tomorrow. Is it just me or is my Volvo running quicker? It now seems more effortless upon acceleration? Anybody have the same result? Quicker speed? Feels good thanks!
Started my 850 T today; checked oil dipstick; NO Smoke! Sweet! Cleaning that PTC makes all the difference in the world! Kick ***!

Old 02-03-2013, 05:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Started my 850 T today; checked oil dipstick; NO Smoke! Sweet! Cleaning that PTC makes all the difference in the world! Kick ***!
good job buddy. now your 850 breaths better

Old 02-04-2013, 07:24 PM
Default Clean PTC

Such a great car. Love the design of this 850, can't wait to realły give it a proper tune up to make it road trip worthy!

Old 02-04-2013, 07:31 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by slimflex2
good job buddy. now your 850 breaths better
I wonder how many people miss some of these simple fixes that can have a large impact on our Volvos performance . I mean I just bought this car, but I doubt anybody else new about these things, thus trading in the vehicle because of a check engine light or faulty codes showing up because of simple things that need attention. Their loss my gain. I love this car, love the engineering of a Turbo 5 cylinder. All cars have their own idosecrenties, I'll take Volvos

Old 02-04-2013, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

Your car is beautiful. To bad its falling off a cliff.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you got such a sweet great looking white car. it looks really clean. do you mind posting up a few pics?

Old 02-05-2013, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by boxpin
Your car is beautiful. To bad its falling off a cliff.
Hey I resent that! Are you being funny?

Old 02-05-2013, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by slimflex2
you got such a sweet great looking white car. it looks really clean. do you mind posting up a few pics?
Have not figured out how to rotate photos?

Old 02-05-2013, 07:03 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hey I resent that! Are you being funny?
I was wondering the same thing. Easier to flip a phone to see but not a computer display. You would be amazed what the right mouse button would do.

Yes these are great cars. And yes the little things add up on people and they mistake little annoying things as aging problems that can't be fixed. It doesn't help that shops and the stealers over charge people to take care of those little things. It would be nothing for them to take care of little things like that when they have the car for a diagnosis check and charge for the part and keep moving but no, they have to blow things out of proportion and charge $90+ for a simple 5 - 10 minute fix.

Took me a while but I figured that most smoking dip sticks are due to the manifold line being broke or loose. Not saying that the rest of the system isn't trash by that time but I've seen the smoke clear up real fast after that is solved. I also had smoking tail pipe issues due to a torn elbow at the PTC.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by rspi
I was wondering the same thing. Easier to flip a phone to see but not a computer display. You would be amazed what the right mouse button would do.

Yes these are great cars. And yes the little things add up on people and they mistake little annoying things as aging problems that can't be fixed. It doesn't help that shops and the stealers over charge people to take care of those little things. It would be nothing for them to take care of little things like that when they have the car for a diagnosis check and charge for the part and keep moving but no, they have to blow things out of proportion and charge $90+ for a simple 5 - 10 minute fix.

Took me a while but I figured that most smoking dip sticks are due to the manifold line being broke or loose. Not saying that the rest of the system isn't trash by that time but I've seen the smoke clear up real fast after that is solved. I also had smoking tail pipe issues due to a torn elbow at the PTC.
Agreed! After I had the shop replace the intake vacuum hose; which I could not access/ tight spot. Then cleaning that PCV near the turbo, I'm golden!