Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

97' 850 radio stuck on "code"

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 02:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 97' 850 radio stuck on "code"

I have retrieved the correct code to unlock my radio player, but when I press the preset numbers, nothing happens on the lcd screen. The information I have seen suggests that when you press a number, it will appear on the lcd screen as you press them. My screen simply says "code" all the time and does not change, no matter what numbers I press or how many times I do. Please help! Driving 2 hours a day in silence is driving me bonkers.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:57 AM

Sounds like the radio kicked it. They should pop up on the screen as you type them in. You can get a nice install kit and a decent aftermarket radio to fix that issue. There's also plenty on Ebay but you have to make sure they have the code which is a hassle.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:09 AM

I took mine to the Volvo dealership and they charged me like 10 bucks to find the code. I replaced mine right after with a double din jvc unit anyways that cost a little over 200 but like crispy said you can get a cheap aftermarket or stock radio off eBay. Jvc is worth the money though (Bluetooth usb cd and aux, lots of colors and all that stuff)

Old 04-02-2014, 11:46 AM
BFR

Originally Posted by hydrokoala
I have retrieved the correct code to unlock my radio player, but when I press the preset numbers, nothing happens on the lcd screen. The information I have seen suggests that when you press a number, it will appear on the lcd screen as you press them. My screen simply says "code" all the time and does not change, no matter what numbers I press or how many times I do. Please help! Driving 2 hours a day in silence is driving me bonkers.
You do any work on it recently? Such as to change the bulbs? The circuit boards on these radios are held in by four little hooks, an awful design which shows the radios were obviously not intended to be serviced. If you're not very careful, it's easy to crack the circuit board (ask me how I know LOL!). The code might not be taking because you cracked the board, or didn't install it 100% correctly.

I had one radio not take code after I serviced it. 3 radios later, I have one that fully works and has all bulbs functional. I just ended up cutting the hooks off. I didn't want to risk cracking the board if I ever have to change the bulbs again.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:14 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

My guess is that the control face plate ribbon is not seated correctly on the board.

You can ship it to me and I'll check it out or you can pm me about buying my fully functional spare.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:11 PM
BFR

Originally Posted by rspi
My guess is that the control face plate ribbon is not seated correctly on the board.

You can ship it to me and I'll check it out or you can pm me about buying my fully functional spare.
Yeah you have to watch that ribbon too. it's very difficult to get in properly without fraying and destroying it. I destroyed one myself trying to put it back in but fortunately had a spare from the radio with a broken circuit board. If you can change the bulbs without pulling the ribbon out by all means try to do so!