Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

'97 850 T5 Issue when hit bumps (posted 3-month ago)

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 09:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '97 850 T5 Issue when hit bumps (posted 3-month ago)

Good Morning!

I purchased a used '97 Volvo 850 T5 about a month ago. It went straight to my personal mechanic that I have used for well over ten years. He did a diagnostic check as the check engine light/service light were lit and ended up replacing the Throttle Position Sensor, did a tune up, and oil change on the vehicle. About a week after I picked the car up from the shop, I noticed while driving on bumpy roads over going over slight imperfections on the road that the rpms would fluctuate wildly, check engine light would flash for a couple seconds, and it almost seemed as if the car was losing power, but it didn't. The car went back to the shop and no error codes or stored error codes are showing up. Everyday I drive the vehicle, it exhibits this same behavior. If you hit a big bump, it actually turns the car off completely. But when you put the car back in park position and restart, it starts with no problems.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue? The dealership is about 30 miles from where I live in Atlanta and I don't think the car would hold up well on the highway trying to get it there for a disgnostic check over by them.

Courtney

Old 11-26-2010, 09:19 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

If you open the hood and look on top of the cooling fan area you will see some relays.
With you standing in front of the car looking down to the left will be a black one to the right of that will be a gray one. With the car running try moving the gray one around a little and see if the car cuts off. The wiring for the relay has rubber around each terminal from the factory. The rubber falls apart with age and the wire can slide out some. Alot of times you can press the wires back up and be good for a while. Also a repair can be done to replace the wires at the plug. The repair is not all that bad to do.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tech,

Thank you for the response. My mechanic could not solve the problem. I ended up having the car towed to a reputable Volvo mechanic shop. They diagnosed the problem as the "someone broke the cover that holds relays to the radiator, which resulted in one of the relay harnesses being broken". They spoke to Volvo, who did not have the part in stock, so an aftermarket part had to be used. They installed a new relay and harness and the problem is finally gone! When I ride over a bump or slight imperfection in the road now, the car is smooth sailing with no problems. :-)