Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

97' 855R -Engine Oil Drain Plug - leaking

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 02:10 PM
BFR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog
What he said. Don't think you really need to or would be benefited pulling out a torque wrench and I don't know anyone who does or needs to. It's just that it's aluminum so you don't want to try and cure a leak with more force
Lug nuts, every time ... drain plug, never.

The fact that you've done so much already pretty much assures me you're tightening it down enough and it's something with the surfaces of the pan or plug or you just haven't seen something above it leaking down.
Hopefully you'll get a chance to try a nylon gasket and it will seal it up.

18mm or 3/4" Dorman Part # 097-004 or 097-004.1
Excellent! I have the same problem in mine and would like to try to fix it this spring. It's just a tiny drip but it does mess up the bottom of the car and I'm a neat freak.

Where do you get this gasket? It is pricey at most online places I saw and most gouge your eyes out with shipping on top of it (at one online retailer the gasket is $7 and shipping $11).

Dorman 097-004 Oil Drain Plug Gaskets at OutdoorPros.com

18 bucks seems a little steep to me for a small nylon washer. Thanks!

Old 01-13-2014, 06:00 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow, send me ten bucks and I'll send you two (shipping included) !!

Oreilly is $0.29 for one.
Call the store first just in case
DormanŽ AutoGrade™ 097-004 - Oil Drain Plug Gasket | O'Reilly Auto Parts
Or in the area of the oil change "stuff" they will have packs 2.29-3.99 of a few of them not engine or car specific.
Autozone the same, NAPA the same, Pepboys the same ....... Just need to make sure the packet states fits 18mm (3/4") plug.

That's just the Dorman number and each parts supplier might have a different brand with a different specific part number it's just a nylon washer fitting a 18mm plug. Dirt simple and might even have them at Walmart, Homedepot, Menards ... hardware stores too.

And be careful of young men who aren't willing to look past the computer screen or old guys who don't care If they only look it up on their parts computer a lot of times the "specific" one for the car comes up as needing to be ordered, special ordered or not available. They're generic and hanging on the hook in the oil change supplies isle. Sometimes "us" parts people get tunnel vision and you're so busy helping people you don't think beyond what the computer says.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 01-13-2014 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:45 PM
BFR

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog
Wow, send me ten bucks and I'll send you two (shipping included) !!

Oreilly is $0.29 for one.
Call the store first just in case
DormanŽ AutoGrade™ 097-004 - Oil Drain Plug Gasket | O'Reilly Auto Parts
Or in the area of the oil change "stuff" they will have packs 2.29-3.99 of a few of them not engine or car specific.
Autozone the same, NAPA the same, Pepboys the same ....... Just need to make sure the packet states fits 18mm (3/4") plug.

That's just the Dorman number and each parts supplier might have a different brand with a different specific part number it's just a nylon washer fitting a 18mm plug. Dirt simple and might even have them at Walmart, Homedepot, Menards ... hardware stores too.

And be careful of young men who aren't willing to look past the computer screen or old guys who don't care If they only look it up on their parts computer a lot of times the "specific" one for the car comes up as needing to be ordered, special ordered or not available. They're generic and hanging on the hook in the oil change supplies isle. Sometimes "us" parts people get tunnel vision and you're so busy helping people you don't think beyond what the computer says.
These online parts outfits must think we're the U.S. Air Force sometimes, LOL! That we'll pay 18 bucks for a 29 cent gasket, sheesh! Thanks for the info. I've got an O'Reilly right down the street.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:26 PM
Default drain plug leak fixed :) - thank you!

everyone - Thank you so much, I replaced the existing gasket with a nylon gasket, I am on the third day no oil drops!!!

----will continue to work on the v70r as this one is not doing to well

Thank you Everyone again for all your help, greatly appreciated!!!

Old 01-15-2014, 02:53 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Glad to hear we are making progress

On yours I'd recommend a new gasket each time you LOF. I'm bad for almost never replacing them, just screw the old one back down but so far I've been lucky. I should start taking my own advise and start replacing them before I'm leaking too