Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

97 t5 wagon getting 8-10 mpg

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 05:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 t5 wagon getting 8-10 mpg

HI i got a 97 850 t5 wagon with 135k miles i used to get 15-19 city . about a month ago i went snowboarding and on the way home car started to run like crap. so month later i drive the car give it a tune up and my mpg's are still @ 8-10 city.no codes nothing so any help would be great

Old 01-29-2012, 06:54 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

There is something going on...

What did you do as the "tune up"?
Are the brakes pulling?
Did you scan for codes?
Do you have a fuel leak?
How are you measuring your gas mileage?
What do you consider "run like crap"? Did it toss a code?
Did you read the "how to improve gas mileage" thread?
If plugs were replaced, what type of plugs were installed?
What are the current plugs gapped at?

Old 01-30-2012, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by rspi

Are the brakes pulling?
Did you scan for codes?
Do you have a fuel leak?
no fuel leak no codes it ran like crap coming down the mountain and got sucky gas so i done the tuneup and it helped out a lil but the car still feels like its hitting boost cut and when i punch it the mpg's and fuel guage drop i spent over 100 bucks in 2 days in gas in this thing it will start to get better after i reach speed limit and stay there it will go to 13-15mpg on highway but soon as i press gas the miles drop like **** i never seen. b4 this i used to get 15-19 city and 27-33 highway. i did plugs tranny flush oil injector cleaner im stuck i cant keep driving this car its killing me in gas

Old 01-30-2012, 09:54 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

When you say no codes have you hooked up to the OBDII port and attempted to pull them or are you just saying you don't have a check engine light on ??

With your symptons I'd check to see if anything is in there even if the lights not on. It can store pending codes. Something that is getting out of it's parameters but isn't considered as failed yet.

Check the fuel pressure regulator vac line to see if you can smell or see any fuel at the regulators nipple or inside the vac line. If any gas is present, any at all you have a ruptured regulator and the intake will be sucking in raw gas through that vac line and possibly cause the problems you are having.

Second guess would be a bad coolant temperature sensor that is sending a very low temperature to the computer that is sending the engine management computer way rich.

Your gas mileage sucks but how does the engine run ?? Does it feel like it's missing at all ?? Did you check or replace the cap, rotor and wires as most would do in a tune up, you didn't say.

What did the old plugs look like and what did you put in and at what gap ??

Old 01-30-2012, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by 97T5WAGONPIMP
no fuel leak no codes it ran like crap coming down the mountain and got sucky gas so i done the tuneup and it helped out a lil but the car still feels like its hitting boost cut and when i punch it the mpg's and fuel guage drop i spent over 100 bucks in 2 days in gas in this thing it will start to get better after i reach speed limit and stay there it will go to 13-15mpg on highway but soon as i press gas the miles drop like **** i never seen. b4 this i used to get 15-19 city and 27-33 highway. i did plugs tranny flush oil injector cleaner im stuck i cant keep driving this car its killing me in gas
Could you write properly? First step to the problem i think.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by matt01
Could you write properly? First step to the problem i think.
this is how i ****ing write tried of ****ing people saying the same **** this is not going to help with my car.anyway i used scan tool to check for codes none wires and cap are like new still no leaks and my temp gauge reads past half

Old 01-30-2012, 05:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first thing I'd check is ******. After that I'd look at the ******. Lastly, I'd have someone put a **** on the ***** and check the *****.

Anyway. What is "run like crap"? Is it misfiring? Is it hard to start when cold or hot? Does it just generally lack power? Have you checked thoroughly for boost leaks? Checked for a vacuum leak on that accordion shaped intake hose from the airbox to the turbo? Have you been filling up at the same gas station?

If you can read sensor data with your scanner, what does the coolant temp read at operating temp? What is your long/short term fuel trim? What does the MAF read at idle?

Old 01-30-2012, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Turkey_Sandwich
The first thing I'd check is ******. After that I'd look at the ******. Lastly, I'd have someone put a **** on the ***** and check the *****.

Anyway. What is "run like crap"? Is it misfiring? Is it hard to start when cold or hot? Does it just generally lack power? Have you checked thoroughly for boost leaks? Checked for a vacuum leak on that accordion shaped intake hose from the airbox to the turbo? Have you been filling up at the same gas station?

If you can read sensor data with your scanner, what does the coolant temp read at operating temp? What is your long/short term fuel trim? What does the MAF read at idle?
not with this tool it it starts fine hot or cold somtimes it feels likes its going to die and cant boost past 5-6psi om my boost gauge it reads 20 when at idle i checked every dam line hose like 20 times. i only use shell vpower and use the same 2 stations most the time .it feels like its in limp mode this happen b4 when i was up im the mountains but the car reset back out of the limp mode thing

Old 01-30-2012, 05:49 PM
Administrator

I deleted my own post. I'm sorry to all who saw it including WagonPimp. I don't want to treat you the way you treat "us".

I'd like to think I'm a better person and the best I can do is hope you find someone to help you because as far as I'm concerned you're just a little too angry for me to care.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 01-30-2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 97T5WAGONPIMP
not with this tool it it starts fine hot or cold somtimes it feels likes its going to die and cant boost past 5-6psi om my boost gauge it reads 20 when at idle i checked every dam line hose like 20 times. i only use shell vpower and use the same 2 stations most the time .it feels like its in limp mode this happen b4 when i was up im the mountains but the car reset back out of the limp mode thing
What did the old spark plugs look like?

Your boost gauge reads 20 PSI at idle?

Old 01-30-2012, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Turkey_Sandwich
What did the old spark plugs look like?

Your boost gauge reads 20 PSI at idle?
You are just too nice ..... you still care

Old 01-30-2012, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Well, he didn't answer 1/2 of my questions so I guess he doesn't want my help either.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:27 PM

Well, he didn't answer 1/2 of my questions so I guess he doesn't want my help either.
i thought i got them all anyways sparkplugs didnt look to bad black but thats it boost gauge is at -20 .thanx for the help and to the people that think there cool go suck a fu ck ing d !~ ck

Old 01-30-2012, 07:49 PM
Administrator

Are the brakes pulling?
Did you scan for codes?
Do you have a fuel leak?
Here are my UNANSWERED QUESTIONS:

1. What did you do as the "tune up"? Did you install new plugs? Did you install new wires? How old are your wires, they DO have a date on them? Did you replace the rotor? Did you do a new cap?

2. Are your brakes pulling? Have you jacked each wheel and see if the brakes are sticking? Are the parking brakes messed up and causing the rear tires to drag?

3. Did you scan for codes? ANSWERED

4. Do you have a fuel leak? ANSWERED

5. How are you measuring gas mileage? Using the car trip computer? Doing it manaually between fill ups? Have another method like ScanGauge II?

6. What do you consider "run like crap"? Is the idle smooth? Does it hesitate when you put your foot in it?

7. Did you READ the "How to improve gas mileage thread"? Well, did you?

8. What type of plugs did you install? OEM? AutoZone? NGK? Huh?

9. What are the current plugs gapped at? Did you check the gap before you tossed them in? Are they at .028?

Out of 10 questions you answered 2 and half answered 2. Do you know that you have ADD?

Old 01-30-2012, 07:55 PM

Here are my UNANSWERED QUESTIONS:

1. What did you do as the "tune up"? Did you install new plugs? Did you install new wires? How old are your wires, they DO have a date on them? Did you replace the rotor? Did you do a new cap?

2. Are your brakes pulling? Have you jacked each wheel and see if the brakes are sticking? Are the parking brakes messed up and causing the rear tires to drag?

3. Did you scan for codes? ANSWERED

4. Do you have a fuel leak? ANSWERED

5. How are you measuring gas mileage? Using the car trip computer? Doing it manaually between fill ups? Have another method like ScanGauge II?

6. What do you consider "run like crap"? Is the idle smooth? Does it hesitate when you put your foot in it?

7. Did you READ the "How to improve gas mileage thread"? Well, did you?

8. What type of plugs did you install? OEM? AutoZone? NGK? Huh?

9. What are the current plugs gapped at? Did you check the gap before you tossed them in? Are they at .028?

Out of 10 questions you answered 2 and half answered 2. Do you know that you have ADD?

i answerd them all but like 2 brakes dont pull checked them all plugs are 0.28 ngk plugs i told you wires and rotor and cap are like new i checked gas by my app on phone and you can see the gas gauge drop when i start to push the gas after a few miles it starts to drop

Old 01-30-2012, 08:29 PM
Administrator

What brand plugs did you install?

Old 01-30-2012, 11:18 PM

What brand plugs did you install?
ngk..

Old 04-02-2013, 06:36 PM

Sorry to dredge up an old painful thread. In case someone else has the same issue as the original poster. There is an altitude regulator that adjusts the fuel mix when in high altitudes. Crud can get into this altitude regulator and cause excessive fuel consumption. The Original Poster mentioned that he was driving off the "mountain". This is only a possibility for anyone else who may have the same issue. No need to reply.