Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Advice on these projects/fixes please

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 10:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on these projects/fixes please

Hello everyone,

I have a 95 850 turbo. Right now it has two check engine codes. p0171 and P0730 (incorrect gear ratio or damage twc). My car runs rough and "feels clog" when I press the gas. I also have consistent oil leak. I hear sometimes metallic, vibrating scraping noise when I drive from time to time.

I ordered the pcv system kit from FCP. I hope to fix the clog system of the crankcase and clear that pesky p0171 code. Tell me if this right or wrong. If I do the Pcv repair, Do I drain any coolant and do another oil change or drain the oil first before doing this PCV repair?

As far for the p0730, I dont know really how what it is and how to fix it. Sometimes my automatic stick slips to 3rd gear and my car have stalled once.

Here are a list of things I have down since I bought the car a year ago.
-3 oil changes
-replace spark plug w/ OEM plugs, wires, distrubitor cap
-installed a new MAF sensor
-new air inhose take with that metal pipe kit from FCP
-replace all shocks/struts. I order new control arms and I have replaced sway links.
*I want to replace both belts(serp. and Timing) w/ associate parts soon as possible. waiting for parts.

Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated. I will elaborated the best I can if you need additional info on any of these things above. Please help since I am still new to Volvo and the 850 Turbo.

Thanks all

Old 05-23-2014, 09:00 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you identified the source of the oil leak? If it is minor it may cure itself once you fix the PCV issue as that causes too much crankcase pressure and can force oil out when it would otherwise not leak. Not familiar specifically with this model so not sure why coolant would come into play here, but obviously coolant should be replaced if it is no longer effective/worn out. IMO no need to coordinate a fresh oil change with the PCV repair, but maybe rspi or somebody else will chime in here. As for the P0730 code check out this thread http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...hp?f=1&t=33771. It has been my experience that fluid condition and level are always the first things to check with transmission issues. Good luck!

Old 05-24-2014, 12:45 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

"metallic, vibrating scraping noise when I drive from time to time."

Is that from the front end ?? Have you checked the sway bar links to make sure one isn't busted and laying up against the CV shift intermittently

Old 05-24-2014, 04:35 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Your noise is likely the rotor guards making contact with the rotors. Just pull them out a little.

The PCV system, change the oil after you do the change. The theory is, when you clean out the engine ports, you push trash into the oil pan. If you do NOT change the oil, the oil pick up may try to suck up that trash and clog the oil pick up causing low oil pressure. So you change the oil after the PCV change.

When you do the PCV, try to make sure you get an EGR gasket and a small hose to connect the PTC. The one they send you is usually to large the fit the older PTC valves.