Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

alternator fail

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 03:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alternator fail

My 850 had been running without a problem till last Monday when two of the instrument panel lights started flickering (low fuel and service). Then, the wipers were moving slower... and then the radio died, and so did the speedometer (though the other gauges still worked).
Then, the car lost acceleration and slowed to a crawl... and stopped moving.
The alternator is the most likely culprit so now I'm trying to remove it. Located two of the bolts and I'm trying to find the other bolts that are holding it to the engine.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:26 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Really, you couldn't try a google search ?? I like to be helpful but I don't understand why people can't do a little of the leg work themselves. I don't know how to do it offhand but with one search I found these links, some with pictures. You could also splurge and get a repair manual.

Alternator Replacement - Volvospeed Forums

Alternator Replacement - Volvospeed Forums

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/cha...?p=53445#53445

Old 02-29-2012, 05:44 PM

Thanks.. I did try Google but did not have much luck.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xevo
My 850 had been running without a problem till last Monday when two of the instrument panel lights started flickering (low fuel and service). Then, the wipers were moving slower... and then the radio died, and so did the speedometer (though the other gauges still worked).
Then, the car lost acceleration and slowed to a crawl... and stopped moving.
The alternator is the most likely culprit so now I'm trying to remove it. Located two of the bolts and I'm trying to find the other bolts that are holding it to the engine.
That's weird; how did you to "alt bad" from those symptoms? You didn't mention the Battery light being on when it was running? Does it crank over at all? Do you have a voltmeter?

Old 02-29-2012, 08:24 PM

It struck me as odd that the battery light did not come on, except dimly along with a few other lights, but the low fuel and service lights, then the SRS light, were the ones that were flickering brightly. I do have a multimeter, I'd like to know if there is another cause aside from a bad alternator.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xevo
It struck me as odd that the battery light did not come on, except dimly along with a few other lights, but the low fuel and service lights, then the SRS light, were the ones that were flickering brightly. I do have a multimeter, I'd like to know if there is another cause aside from a bad alternator.
If the Battery light is on while engine is running, even dimly, then it's likely the alt is bad, or at least the brushes. Ck the batt voltage at rest and then with the engine running (rev above idle); the latter should be higher of the two. Charging voltage should be around 14v; at rest about 12v.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:58 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The other thing to do would be to take it to an auto parts store and have them run a test on it in the car. They can load test the alternator to see if it's putting out what it should.

Alternators can break in a way that they put out 2/3 or 1/3 of what they are rated for. It wouldn not trip a charging fault light because it's still charging and the light only comes on when there is no charge. Same with voltage. It might show it's at 14.0 to 14.8 volts or so which should be good but if it can only charge at 20 amps maximum at that voltage then at night with the heater, headlights and wipers going you're running off the battery as the load would be higher than the 20amps the alternator can produce. A stock alternator for the 850 should be in the 90 to 100 amp range if good.
Next best would be if it's already off, take it in and have them bench test it before you shell out the $$$ for a new one in case it's something else.

I'm not sure why but out alternators usually come without the pulley. Most auto parts stores have an electric impact available to switch over the pulley as it's common to need to on a number of the imports.

From the symptoms, it could also be a loose or bad ground or power supply wire. It could affect the alternators ability to charge up the battery.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 03-05-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A bad connection from the battery could cause lots of electrical issues on an 850. I had a bad battery terminal and it would intermittently shut off while driving.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:20 PM

I had the alternator bench-tested, and yes, it was bad. I bought a rebuilt one for less than $200 - it didn't have a pulley, but the parts guy kindly removed the pulley from the old alternator and attached it to the newer one. I installed it in my car this afternoon (yesterday was quite stormy) and after a jump start, the car runs well again. Of course, the radio won't come on unless its code is entered; I'm planning on visiting the local dealer to retrieve the code.
Thanks to all who helped!

Update: I got the code from the dealer, but it didn't work - apparently the radio isn't the original one. The letters "PNP" are scrawled on the bottom of the radio with a paint marker; I presume it means "Pick N Pull."

Last edited by xevo; 03-05-2012 at 12:17 PM.