Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Any recommended aftermarket intake systems?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 12:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any recommended aftermarket intake systems?

Anybody have any aftermarket air intake systems to recommend or a parts list of how to make your own? I've seen some of the systems for the 60R's/70R's with the intake scoop in the floodlight grille and was wondering if there was a similar system for the N/A 1996' 850.
Thanks!

Old 01-07-2017, 05:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car already have a stock cold air intake...

Open the hood and follow the intake pipings.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

Volvos are know to have a good OEM design so not much upside to replacing. Plus its recommended to use paper filters vs oiled filters as some of that oil can get onto the MAF and cause issues long term. You'd be better off working on the exhaust side if anything.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by mt6127
Volvos are know to have a good OEM design so not much upside to replacing. Plus its recommended to use paper filters vs oiled filters as some of that oil can get onto the MAF and cause issues long term. You'd be better off working on the exhaust side if anything.

Id agree with this.

The most benefit youll see from an intake is sound. Maybe 1-2 mpg extra if you are lucky. If you want to do it though, the cheap easy way is to buy a cone filter from *insert favorite parts house here" and a maf adapter. I opted to purchase the Spectre steel universal 3" maf adapter and some longer 10mm bolts with nuts and lock washers. Get an e15 torx and unbolt the maf sensor from the back of the factory air box. Remove factory box from car and bolt up the maf adapter. Install a coupler on the maf adapters, then install your cone filter using either a straight tubing and another coupler or use an angled piece of tubing as required.

Only thinf id do differently would be to buy/build and install the sheet metal "firewall" that ipd sells in their intake kit to isolate the air coming in from the grill a bit better and to bolt things down tighter.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 97-850Wagen
Id agree with this.

The most benefit youll see from an intake is sound. Maybe 1-2 mpg extra if you are lucky. If you want to do it though, the cheap easy way is to buy a cone filter from *insert favorite parts house here" and a maf adapter. I opted to purchase the Spectre steel universal 3" maf adapter and some longer 10mm bolts with nuts and lock washers. Get an e15 torx and unbolt the maf sensor from the back of the factory air box. Remove factory box from car and bolt up the maf adapter. Install a coupler on the maf adapters, then install your cone filter using either a straight tubing and another coupler or use an angled piece of tubing as required.

Only thinf id do differently would be to buy/build and install the sheet metal "firewall" that ipd sells in their intake kit to isolate the air coming in from the grill a bit better and to bolt things down tighter.
Do you have a link to the IPD "Firewall"? I looked on IPD but couldnt find it.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Luke Woessner
Do you have a link to the IPD "Firewall"? I looked on IPD but couldnt find it.
https://www.ipdusa.com/products/4670...0-turbo-models

This is for the turbo, however you may be able to modify to fit NA engines. It doesn't seem like IPD sells the "firewall" portion of the kit seperately and you have to purchase it with a filter (which is what keeps me from ordering one brand new, price and the fact that Im happy with my filter and don't need a second cone filter floating around the house)

Old 01-11-2017, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

The Volvo intake system is more than adequate and honestly could stand up to most aftermarket intakes when it comes to moving air. For an N/A...No intake will improve performance it will only make it look and sound cooler.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:08 PM

Spectre 84143 3" MAF adapter is the item I used. ~$15 at Advance Auto. 10mm bolts/nuts were about $5 more, and the 3" coupler was about $15 too if I recall correctly. YMMV of course, since you have an NA car (you may require more pieces of tubing/couplers, etc). But again you won't necessarily net anything more than sound and maybe 1-2 mpg.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The main thing on the N/A airbox is to make sure the airbox thermostat is not stuck in the position where it pulls in hot air off the exhaust manifold. This failure mode is very common and decreases performance and mileage (but not by much). Best thing is to just gut the airbox therm, and block off the hot air intake. You may notice (if it was broken) a slight improvement in top end performance. Other than that the stock box is fine unless you're doing other major mods.